September 19-23, 2011

Toups

• Members

What age are these friends? I'm 35, grew up on CBS, and only got to know GH during the Pratt/Guza era. I'm somewhat familiar with 'classic' GH via postings on this board but otherwise only know the show as a Sonny and Jason lovefest.

I am shocked that James Franco can't boost ratings. He has a large fan base and it seems only logical that they would follow him to Port Charles. I have no idea why ABC is willing to pay a A list actor for no ratings return? I could see GH getting one extra year if Chew fails and Wolf is able to get ratings back up .3 in demos but I doubt either will happen fast enough.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The friends I'm speaking of are 24-28. I really like James Franco (when he tries), but, while he is a star, i don't think he has that kind of fan base who will watch everything he does--partly because he does such eclectic things. How many people, including his friends, watched Howl, last year, for example?

How much more did you expect AMC to gain? it's been struggling in the ratings for well over a year now (if not much longer, depending on your view)--the average guess on here was it would do around 3 million--and it did significantly better.

• Members

You know I always hear about fanbases but in reality what have they done for any show. I don't believe for a second a fanbase can do anything particularly when the character being played is not an integral part of the show. Vanessa Marcil was popular and certainly a part of GH when the show was still widely loved and what did her return do? All those names Y&R has hired has done nothing for them, ANd why would a Franco fan want to see him on a soap no offense to us soap fans. Isn't he all about being edgy and a bit of a non conformist and free spirit?

• Members

I've never understood the idea of Franco bringing in ratings. He is a cult actor - being a supporting player in a few popular movies doesn't mean a lot. He's hot, but that's not going to be showcased on GH, people can see him elsewhere for that purpose.

• Webmaster

Control of the shows, no. If no cable network picks up the shows by the time they launch online and suddenly ABC wants to air them on TV again, they can do that after settling a deal with Prospect Park. If Prospect Park does something with the shows that violates their ABC contract, there could be a way for ABC to get the shows back outright, however, but we don't know the terms of their contract.

Basically, it is my understanding that ABC retains ownership of both All My Children and One Life to Live, but has no creative control over the direction the shows take as far as casting, story, etc. But again, there has to be something in the contract that if ABC doesn't like it they can do X, Y or Z. It would only make sense that way.

• Members

I wonder if the Chew and Revolution fail so bad, that they bring the soaps back. Prospect Park would continue paying to produce them, but could reap the benefits of online and international distribution.

Will AMC remain in the yearly average all season long?

• Members

I thought the People Mag cover was going to boost ratings even higher. AMC was iconic, more pop cultural than Gl or ATWT, and I sort of expected Y&R type numbers with former fans and even a few non-soap watchers tuning in. SL is herself a brand and I just hoped for more. Would love to see 2002 type of numbers for a finale like this.

Archived