OLTL: Discussion for the week of August 1

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously, I am going to start putting you on ignore ...cause your posts are coming off snarky once again. The whole RH pimping on the ratings thread and here is sickening. That's not why the ratings went up. Had he stayed as Todd all these years the ratings still would be in the shits.....It's the actually two Todds that has viewers watching......

• Members

Wow! I thought we were past that, Soapsuds. I only asked a question. I really wanted to know. Let be honest, you're posts about OLTL are pretty bitter and hateful, but I take with a grain of salt. I'm wondering where all these people are that think that Todd is a saint. I understand you don't like RH, but as Vee pointed it out earlier. It's overkill. Just as you took were outspoken in defense of ATWT, that how I am with this show.

• Members

I don't see RH being written as a saint.

But he's being written as REDEEMED by victimization in much the same way Marty was, ironically enough. He's become the poor victim who had his life wrecked and awwwwwwwwww queue the violins for this poor lost, confused soul.

And sadly this writing reminds of why I quit watching his Paul Ryan as that type of character does not play to RH's strength as an actor. He became famous and made Todd so iconic b/c he excels as scary kick ass alpha living on a razor's edge between utter villain and anti-hero. There is nothing whatsoever intimidating about his current Todd and I find that disappointing. I guess that man did leave the building in 98 and has never returned.

• Members

Todd became increasingly woobified starting around 1994, once they decided he had to save Marty, they had the saccharine recasts of CJ and Sarah idolizing him, etc. Then it became long-suffering, kooky Todd.

I think that RH's return works mostly to clean up the damage done over the last 2-3 years, but I think it's for the best that this story probably won't carry on to Prospect Park, because I don't know where they'll take RHTodd once this story has ended.

• Members

I agreed with RH back in 1995, Malone rewrote his character totally into a romanticized Todd Lord guy in 1995.

RH rightfully walked out in disgust and insisted in 1996 on resurrecting the darker Todd Manning. He came back with vengeance in his heart and proceeded to wreak havoc. He was vulnerable, angst-ridden but also a total SOB who hurt everyone in his path. RH won best villain in 1998 because that year Todd was a force to be reckoned with in Llanview:-)

However, starting in 2000, he became a running GAG of a character nicknamed GOOF. He had a few good dark moments like torturing Blair repeatedly and the Max buried scenes but mostly he was Jack Tripper, a total joke.

Now RH is written with all the vulnerability and angst but without any of the darkness, rage or fierceness. He's the poor, gentle lost soul instead of the vengeance is MINE sayeth Todd Manning I and many fans were told was coming back.

It's a real disappointment.

Archived