OLTL: Discussion for the week of August 1

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the show almost actively chased away viewers for most of 2009 and 2010. Bringing RH back and trying to explain what Todd had become is a good way to rectify some of that, although the rest is still awful. But it doesn't really matter about the rest if they have one story getting attention.

• Members

I think the show having a large ratings gain at the same time as they write away 2-3 years of trash (air quotes, rape is love, Todd's harem, Todd's disdain for Blair and Starr, turning Todd's abuse of Tea into comedy) is somewhat tied together, but I agree ratings aren't necessarily increasing due to that. I just can't really see what else would cause a ratings gain now, as the rest of the show is the same as always (JPL ruining his stories, bad camp, random psychos, etc.)

I think Y&R has lost ratings over the last few years.

• Members

When Carl is actually almost kind of behind a story, you know it has to be good. And I say with the utmost love and respect.

This story is not the downfall of daytime and a sign of why it must die. If that were true, the Roman/John story on Days 20 years ago would have flopped and destroyed the industry. It didn't. It was a paradigm shift that gave both those characters and all their families new dynamics for years to come. And what's more, it did not invalidate the relationships John had formed as Roman or the things he experienced - he believed himself to have been Roman Brady, and his relationships continued to develop. If, as I suspect, TSJ's character believed he was Todd, there is plenty to do with him again someday, as Todd's sort of scheming other half.

• Members

He said he was leaving, then offered to stay, but they didn't want him too. He def. wasn't pushed out, that's something that bugs me ALOT. Some TSJ fans act like he was shoved out the door and is the victim in all this when he's NOT. He was more than ready to leave, but IMO decided he wanted to stay once RH returned(JMO)

Archived