OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

So sad.  If Ellen's OLTL material is almost all lost forever, at least her long form interview a few years back exists for posterity (apologies if this has been reposted since the news, but I didn't see it): 

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/ellen-holly#interview-clips

Clearly the Times obit writers didn't read her book - if ever there was a time soaps deserved to be savaged in the mainstream media, this was it, but instead they make it sound like OLTL was a largely positive experience for her.

I may go watch some of her recurring run on GL in the early '90s - even in a supporting role, she created a three-dimensional character who made every scene more engaging.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

From everything I have seen, Ellen Holly was a wonderful actor. As others have said, SON and YOUTUBE really allowed me to see Carla on OLTL in action, and Holly was so compelling! And that’s without seeing her original, groundbreaking story.

Her place in the history of this industry should never be forgotten. She was a pioneer and had the talent to back that up. Sad that this part of the industry treated her with so much disrespect.

• Members

Don't presume Ellen is lying. I don't. Ellen would have more to lose than Erika would. I read Ellen's book. It does not matter. Calling a woman who is dead less than a week a liar is really unseemly. RIP Ellen Holly. At least she does not have to put up with garbage anymore.

Edited by JoeCool

• Members

This was the passage from the book which took aim at Erica Slezak

Erika Slezak neatly summarizes the change in the variety of characters to
be found on OLTL, "We don't have poor people in Llanview. We don't
have any more black people in Llanview. We have no ethnic people. No,
this is now a story about rich people and richer people. We're all haves
now."
Since we were the only blacks/ethnics, the reference was clear. I was shocked
by the gracelessness of the remarks. With scant credentials overall and virtually
none in the New York theater, Slezak had walked into a solidly established hit
that black theater performers had played a significant role in making into the
success that would line her pockets with millions.

However Erica was lamenting that fact not celebrating it. But Ellen didn't quote that part of the article either through ignorance or design.

• Members

Yep. It was also this quote she directly addressed in her newsletter a few years ago, flat-out calling that interpretation "bullshît" and explaining what Paul's described here while still fulsomely complimenting Holly. In any event, I'm not gonna feed the troll trying to stir anything up.

• Members

Actor Vance Jefferis, who played Matt McAllister, Victor Lord's protege that was involved with Dorian, passed away in November. His Obit can be found in Soap Hoppers.

@vetsoapfan @Vee @DRW50 @Faulkner @jam6242 @Paul Raven @Bright Eyes @John @janea4old @FrenchFan @dc11786 @danfling

Edited by slick jones

• Members

re: Ellen Holly. She was treated so abominably that I think she expected the worst out of everyone because it would protect her. And I'm also sure that she might have heard similar sentiments from other people and I think it's possible that someone on production told Holly that Slezak said that to cause friction and to upset Holly.  Rauch seemed to love playing mind games with certain cast members on each of the shows he was on. Also, I can see where Slezak's Emmy win and her status on the show would be galling to someone who made such a huge contribution to the show but was now treated as dispensable.