OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Did you watch all the shows back then ? If so, how did you manage when shows were on opposite each other ? All the shows seemed to be on fire back then with a few exceptions. I remember you talking about Y&R blew you away with how it looked compared to the other soaps. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Never before, and never since, have I watched as many soaps on a daily basis as I did in the 1970s. Probably 15, I think. (Yes, it was insane. I was a geek with no life!) The vast majority of them really were on fire back then, penned by master writers at the top of their game. When shows were broadcast on competing networks at the same time, I'd alternate between what ones to watch and what ones to audio-tape and listen to later, in the evening. The few soaps that were not as good in various years of the decade (Love of Life, General Hospital, The Secret Storm) were still okay enough for me to keep up with, just not every day. And it's true: when Y&R debuted, the sets, lighting, wardrobe, EVERYTHING made it look so lush, expensive and opulent, like a classy Ross Hunter Hollywood motion picture. I was indeed blown away.

• Members

This may have been mentioned, but in the episode of Richard and Becky Lee's wedding, her parents were being played by Addision Powell and Sasha von Schurler.

Ms. von Schurler had played the friend of Julie (Beverly McKenzie) on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing and would later play Brook's mother Jane on All My Children.    The role of Ramona Gonzalez R. N on Ryan's Hope (a character in the very beginning of the show) had been created for her to play.   Her husband Paul Avella Mayer was a co-created of Ryan's Hope.

Mr. Powell had played Dr. Eric Lang on Dark Shadows.

Their daughter is a television director.

• Members

I'm reading @will81 's Tumblr The Soaps of Yesterday and it is filled with facts I did not know heretofore. 

Please register in order to view this content

The timing on this is interesting because a few weeks later they announced the casting of Michael Zaslow as David Rinaldi, Cassie's father.  So, either they didn't think Cusi was up for the challenge of that plot, or they needed to age the character to pair her with Rob, or (tragically) she was the wrong size for the part...

• Members

I was doing summer stock in upstate NY and we were having an open forum with the fellows. I was pleasantly surprised when one of the theatre professionals used his friend/colleague Cusi Cram as a perfect example of a young artist who didn’t feel compelled to stay in the box of “actor” and completely flourished in other areas of the industry. Of course I was the dork to shout out “One Life to Live!” (followed by, “Yassss!” from a young actress) when Cusi’s friend referred to it as “the soap”.

• Members

A little BTS talk from Janice Lynde

Loved working with Michael.
Good Kisser😊

On OLTL:
It was such a fun, happy show when Jean Arley was producing!!! I Made lifelong friends there...It was great to get paid, to go to an artistic party everyday. Hair/make up was our dogie day care. And most of us were doing Broadway at night...Perfect blend of artistic work!
Then came insane Rausch, making everyone miserable🤬🤬🤬

EGO MANIACAL!
He loved trying to pit everyone against each other...And ended up with fines from our Unions, costing ABC more & more money. I fortunately had choices, & always stood up to him. Hence, my demise, Again! He was fond of violently blowing me up🤪
So I guess he was just the sad sad little man that he was portrayed to be in the rag magazines in the 70s. Just didn’t realize how fortunate he was to be able to work in his field. Like we say in the south, bless his heart.

Yep! I grew up in Louisiana & I always thought it was funny when you’d say something terrible about someone & then “Bless his Heart”...It’s such a Southern Tradition💕

Please register in order to view this content

On this photo from Y&R I posted yesterday (among other couples) for Valentine's Day

I’ve always loved Leslie/Brad Couple pics. We look truly in Love...So many Others seem to be posing for the camera💖

• Members

I always love it when actors don’t trash their soap experiences.  How awesome that she paid respect to both how hard she worked and also the benefits of the format for talent just starting out and props to folks that made it their living.

I know some people legitimately had terrible soaps experiences.  It just seemed for a long time it was always maligned, or never spoken about like it was shameful.