OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've only watched the 1975 episode so far. I actually like this Kathy can can see Robin Strasser in the role.

Ellen Holly should have been the Jeanne Cooper of OLTL. She had a very strong 'movie star' presence. She really comes off like a Golden Era one like Bette Davis.

Also, doesn't Ellen Holly, to any of you, have a 'Cramer Girl' look? She kinda favors Robin Strasser, Susan Lucci, Gina Tognoni, etc.

• Members

I was under the impression Tony got tracked down in Vietnam or some part of Asia, running a bar with his beautiful Asian assistant. But that's all apocryphal stories and may be wrong. He is still going by "Harris" here so I don't think he knows he's a Lord yet. He came on in April of '75, I think.

• Members

These episodes were fantastic! Different from other 70s soap episodes I’ve seen. They seemed to have a style that worked for them and it makes the show stand out. It also felt very modern which I wasn’t expecting. I feel like the episodes moved fast, but they didn’t come off plot driven. There is also a lot of movement between scenes so it doesn’t feel repetitive. 

The biggest treat for me is finally getting to see the first two Dorian’s and finally being able to say I’ve seen them all. Clair Malis definitely seemed more similar to Robin Strasser and I can see that being an easy transition for viewers. Clair is VERY different from Nancy Pinkerton who had such a dominating presence. I’d love to see more of her in something. 

It’s always lovely seeing Ellen Holly, but it’s a shame we didn’t get to see her do more. Her exit and the fact that that wrong was never righted is the biggest missed opportunity for OLTL

• Members

Oh, OK.

I was wondering because the dialogue was somewhat suggesting that he debuted not too long ago. 

And finally seeing Cathy Craig onscreen makes me happy. I've only read about how much of a mess she was from various synopsis. Glad to finally put a face to her. 

I am praying more soap clips from the early to mid 70s keep emerging like they have lately. 

• Members

June 75

When a strange, handsome adventurer, Tony Harris checked into the Llanview Motel with his Japanese “wife”, Michiko, who was a resident of Vietnam and appeared to have a dubious reputation, and began an investigation of his own into the Toland murder case, the curiosity of the police was aroused. Unknown to everyone, Tony, who was trying to retrieve a valuable smuggled jade piece that he believed Toland had, puzzled over a newspaper clipping about Joe and Viki Lord Riley’s wedding taken from the personal effects of his mother. Tony, while managing to meet Joe in a press lounge, claimed to be a freelance writer, and used Joe to gain access to the paper’s old files, when he learned of Julie, Larry and Dorian, who were all closely linked with Toland at the time of the Wilson murder trial. He polotted to further his secret investigation by getting to meet them all eventually.

• Members

Are you sure? I have in my notes, that Pat Kendall first appeared on 15 October 1975...

This is from a summary from October 1975:

"Steve offered the unemployed Patricia Kendall the opportunity for a job interview reminding her that the newspaper business, except for daily deadlines, was not that unlike her former magazine editing job. Pat accepted the offer for the interview and planned to come to Llanview."

• Members

Back in the 1970s, I was an unabashed soap opera geek. I kept "live" scrapbooks on all my favorite shows: I'd rate daily storyline synopses, keep magazine critiques and interviews, keep track of the the Neilson ratings and what actors/characters appeared on each episode, etc. After Courtney left AW, I was hoping ABC would be smart enough to snatch her up for OLTL, and when she appeared as Pat Kendall for the very first time, I was working on my scrapbook and happily wrote down the note in it. I just double-checked right now and yes, the date she debuted on OLTL was November 12, 1975. Where was that summary stating that she began in mid-October? I'm curious. Obviously, I would never say I am right about everything, but since I specifically wrote it down during her very first episode, I'd bet 11/12/75 is the accurate date. Heck, I didn't even drink in the afternoons back then, ROTF!!!!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

@DRW50I think you can back me up on this from articles you’ve posted, but the show lost Nancy Pinkerton because they refused to meet her salary request when renewing her contract. She walked on her own accord. Other accounts of history note the show’s “necessity” to recast in order to retain the character of Dorian as no viewer could forgive and forget her egregious acts while looking at Pinkerton’s punim day after day.

I’ve listened to some of her audio recorded episodes, but this is only the second video of Pinkerton as Dorian that I have seen, and I find her transfixing... her voice and speech, those deep brown eyes, and that palpable subtext. There’s a potently dangerous undercurrent to her most benign gestures. She’s presenting kindness, even sweetness, but she’s not to be trusted.

I wish Pinkerton and Malis could have been interviewed for the oral history. Malis reminds me of Meg Foster with those eyes. She looks sleek and chic for the most part. For a moment there it seemed like they were going out of their way to make her sympathetic but then she had that Angie Dickinson dressed to kill moment with the accountant and that made me wonder just who was Dorian at this time. I would kill to see more episodes of this era.