• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Come help us celebrate the life of the incredibly talented and visionary writer, producer and creator of the ABC Daytime soap operas ALL MY CHILDREN, LOVING and ONE LIFE TO LIVE; Agnes Nixon in The Locher Room live on Wednesday, March 31st at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. Helping to honor Agnes will be her son Robert Nixon along with a list of actors who benefited from the unforgettable characters Agnes created on her shows. Joining Robert will be Daytime Emmy Award-winning actors Susan Lucci (Erica Kane), Erika Slezak (Vicky Lord), Peter Bergman (Dr. Cliff Warner), Debbi Morgan (Angie Baxter-Hubbard) and Darnell Williams (Jesse Hubbard). We will also hear from one of All My Children’s biggest fans, Carol Burnett.

• Members

I just randomly remembered that Dorian's sister Melinda and her ex-lover David Rinaldi (not Vickers) were both pianists.  I don't recall any mention made of the coincidence, and given that David/Cassie were retconed into Dorian history it was probably not planned.  However, it would have been an interesting introduction if Dorian mentioned that she met David through her sister.  Melinda was hospitalized in the asylum in 1981, and David was introduced in 1983, but I guess given the changes in writers and producers it was a lifetime apart. 

• Members

I was glad Erika was able to make an appearance as some of her comments were the most interesting (and wow, someone involved in the show actually mentioned Gordon Russell and has some sense of when Nixon was actually still writing for the show--I'm impressed).  Everyone seems to remember Agnes whole heartedly approving of the 90s Vicki DID storyline except for that one interview with Agnes herself which she seemed aghast that she would have ever approved of that (in hindsight I think she was confused by the way the question was asked of her, actually). 

• Members
I was told by a fellow viewer that if I wanted to see Agnes' work I could find it at the Northwestern College archives. I was curious, does anyone know how to access the online archives for Northwestern to look at Agnes' work? I am on the site, but all I am finding is the ability to request files that I would have to view in person when visiting the library. Is there anything just scanned in?
Thanks for any help,
Erik

• Members

Was that me?  I told someone that they could read the AMC bible at the NorthWestern archives.  I was able to go there as research for my MA essay and actually have scanned a lot of stuff I can share.  However, I have to warn you, there is remarkably little about OLTL compared to AMC and even Loving and her pre OLTL soap work. 

But no--nothing is scanned in.  I had to scan what I did myself, and that was a bit of an iffy thing in and of itself (I went twice, one time the person was fine with me scanning all I wanted, the other time I was being watched VERY closely)

• Members

I just checked the video/chat and yes, it was you Eric...

Thank you for answering, and sorry, I didn't catch that it was your name associated the first time I read the post...

If you would be willing to share, I'd be very grateful...I was interested in Agnes' bible for "All My Children" and her early story projections. I was also interested in, if you have "a" full script sample, either for radio or "All My Children".

Thank you again, for any assistance you give...

Erik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This morning for no particular reason I was thinking about "The Cramer Women."  While I always enjoyed their camaraderie, their backstories are completely convoluted retcons and were too often cribbed from each other.

I can believe that Melinda had a child while she was institutionalized that became Kelly.  But, why give her the exact same upbringing as Cassie?  Both were secretly raised in European boarding schools, paid for by Dorian.  Both came to Llandview and were immediately accepted as Cramers by everyone in town, without any questions.  In retrospect, it gives Dorian motive for her avaricious during her early years, because she had to pay for two girls in boarding school.  However the fact that Dorian was paying for Melinda's hospitalization was mentioned as early as when she married Victor Lord, so there was no need to add that she was also paying for double tuition (at least if Kelly and Cassie went to the same school Dorian could have gotten a deal and visited them both at the same time).  Kelly feels like an attempt by new writers to correct the character defects in Cassie who was developed as a contrast to Dorian.

Addie makes much less sense.  Not only was Dorian's older sister never referenced, (to be fair Dorian thought she was dead), but Addie shared the same backstory with Melinda.  Both women spent most of their lives in institutions and both were inexplicably naive and immature due to their mental illness.   I am willing to attribute Addie's lack of cognitive prowess as an indicator of her mental illness to the times they were written, (although it was not that long ago).  But, I am also bothered by soaps unwillingness to educate their audience on mental illness by using global terms rather than specific diagnosis.  Cancer and heart illnesses have been staples of the soap's attempts to provide awareness, I have no idea why mental illnesses are not given the same respect.  I guess Melinda's return was recent enough that the audience might not accept Blair as her daughter, but it strains credulity that both sisters shared so many qualities, yet none were inherited by Dorian.

Furthermore, I refuse to believe that Dorian was a middle sister.  Dorian was not a Jan Brady by any stretch of the imagination.  She never had middle daughter energy, and she sought the kind of attention that middle kids crave. 

Finally, although I am willing to suspend disbelief when Blair changed ethnicity,  I will never accept Paul Cramer as a legitimate member of the clan

Edited by j swift

• Members

Wasn't Addie thought dead when Dorian was really young?  If so, she became the de facto older sister to Melinda.

Melinda and Addie both struggled with mental illness, but in different ways.  Melinda had years where she did live a semi normal life..and I could have bought Kelly being her daughter...but maybe she should been older (closer to Cassie's age)