OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That clip is like OLTL in an alternate universe, including Megan with recast Tina and Dorian all acting cordial toward each other.  But, at least we know that Brenda hung around until August 1991. 

Do we think baby Steven inherited the Grande fortune?  And did anyone else move into the Grande Mansion? That was a lovely set.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Made it to mid-February 1995 and I am so impressed by Erika and Robin in the DID story. They are playing every beat as Jean imprisons Dorian, even chaining her up, and I was horrified as Dorian awaken to realize she was in the secret room. Then even worse, trapped in a soundproof prison. The cinematography there was fantastic. I haven't read up on that in ages nor have I seen it so it all played as new for me. 

I always thought that RJ actually interrupted the Sheila and Hank wedding to expose his past affair with Nora but it actually happened after the wedding in the empty church. The reveal was played to perfection between Hank/Nora/RJ and has me looking forward to more of the Gannon sibling rivalry but based on recaps I am sure it dies down after this. I really wish they had slowed down some of the January story for the Gannons. 

I know I am repeating myself but the recasts just do not work for me. Robin and Erika are carrying the show for me as Tina, Sheila, Kevin and Rachel do not work for me in the overall canvas due to recasting and Andy and Dylan are so blah and boring thus far. While the show is in great shape overall and a fun ride it is just a bit of a sore spot. 

I do also enjoy the messiness of Blair loving Cord, wanting Todd's money and lying that she is pregnant to get rich. 

• Members

I have now made it to mid-March 1995 and things have slowed down quite a bit. 

They stalled the DID story as it was getting so good with Tommy nearly killing Dorian then Jean plotting to allow her to leave until a great twist with Niki returning as Todd announced he was Victor's son. Unfortunately, Niki being back and fleeing to Atlantic City didn't play as exciting but hoping they turn it around as everything has been plotted and detailed so finely thus far this entire year. 

The sore spot for me is still the supporting characters and the Gannons have faded into the background with Rachel getting tempted by drugs. With Kelly's arrival and I am sure the Vegas and Patrick will be introduced at some point, they do seem to attempt to fix the supporting players. 

The biggest surprise here - it seems they are setting up an Alex and RJ affair? I know they never would have gone there, but were they tempted? 

Lastly, I am not sure if it is the original VHS copied to YouTube but the show is so damn dark I nearly have to watch it at night. It is beyond extreme even with my TV at max brightness. 

The mess with Blair/Todd/David

/Tina/Dorian/Cord is so greatly detailed but dragged down by all the recasts (I know, I am complaining again) but Kassie's Blair has no chemistry with Cord IMO and and Krista's Tina just ain't it at all. I still enjoy watching it all played out. 

Looking forward to seeing more of the DID story play out and Nora and Bo's upcoming wedding which hopefully isn't drenched in darkness. 

• Members

Lawd! Alan Locher is having a virtual with Jill Farren Phelps... 

Alan Locher will welcome Jill Farren Phelps to his YouTube show, The Locher Room on Wednesday, June 23 at 3 p.m. ET. Phelps has been the EP at ANOTHER WORLD, GH, GUIDING LIGHT, ONE LIFE TO LIVE, SANTA BARBARA AND Y&R and has won 11 Daytime Emmys for her works on soaps. 

Jill Farren Phelps Virtual Interview - Soap Opera Digest

• Members

Actually, Jim and Anna’s wedding was not in April of 1970, but in early August of 1969.  There is one entire episode of OLTL posted on YouTube that is dated 7/11/69.  You can see Meredith and Tom Edwards in the library at Llanfair talking and Anna is there with Meredith.  A later scene shows the first Victor Lord (Ernest Graves), trying to help Tom discover who he is.  He mentions that he and Meredith are experiencing a “family crisis” , and need some distraction.  It seems that this was when Viki, in the persona of Niki Smith had “escaped” to the west coast.  This would explain why she was not at Jim and Anna’s wedding.  

If you watch the entire episode, you can hear the announcer speaking over the closing credits reminding everyone to tune into the launching of

Apollo 11 on the following Wednesday, July 16.

I think this is one of the only two OLTL episodes from the very early years that are available in their entirety. The other episode is from November of 1968 and is available at the William Paley center (formerly known as the Museum of Broadcasting) in Manhattan.  Hopefully when more of the museums open, I can get a chance to go to the city to see it.

I began watching OLTL from the very beginning.  I would watch it after school, and during the summer when I wasn’t working.  When I was working full time in an office, we were allowed to have radios at our desks as long as they weren’t too loud.  I had a radio that carried the audio signal of the local tv channels so I could listen while I worked.  I eventually got a vcr, and continued to watch until the storyline got too ridiculous for my taste in the late 90s.  I did watch the 40th anniversary show, and the final show, though.

• Members

I thought it was interesting that what lured Gottlieb to daytime was the promise of control over the story.  Every fan who reductively blames certain producers and writers for undesirable plots in daytime should listen to this story.

I was just reading about the development of Dirty Dancing from the original material to the screen.  The studio's desire to add contemporary music and more dancing came at the expense of stories about class and sexual assault.  So,  it is interesting to hear that Gottlieb was willing to produce a genre that she had no reverence for in order to tell stories with less network interference.  And even though she was promised independence, of course, nobody gets full control and that is what created the problem of how to continue to tell Todd's story without making him a hero.

Edited by j swift

• 2 weeks later...