OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I know some fans didn't care for the first Andy, but I liked her more than Wendee Pratt, even if she and her stories were generic. Beyond the Hunter relationship I think she spent most of her time pining after the hunky priest who was pining after Gabrielle. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@Soaplover I'm left with some nagging questions to resolve. 

(1) Why did Andy and Jake have the last name of Harrison, if Max and Steve's last name was Holden (I'm guessing they shared the same mother, while Steve and Max shared a father)?  Were all of the parents dead, or did any of them appear in Llandview?

(2) Was the issue of Max being the son of Asa and Renee ever discussed while one of his siblings was in town?

(3) Did both Steve Holden and Drew Ralston die in wedding cake related bomb incidents?

(4) Was Al named after Gabrielle's father?

Edited by j swift

• Members

I really liked the first Andy, Bronwen Booth and loved her with Leonard Stabb's Hunter.  I was so furious when she returned alone and Hunter was made out to be an abuser.  Wendee Pratt's version of the character was so different that it seemed like a completely different character altogether.

• Members

That must have sucked for fans of the couple (not to mention being in poor taste given Staab's accident being the reason why he could never return to the role). A sad irony that Andy herself went under the bus when Antonio returned. This is the type of writing that alienated so many fans, one after another.

• Members

Ironically, it was Kamar that either directly or indirectly came up with that explanation for the break-up. JFP had intended to have Andy killed in the line of duty, but Kamar didn't want Andy killed off.

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It went something like this....

1. Steve and Max's parents were Wingate and Patricia Holden. Patricia left Wingate when Max was a kid and later married Baxter Harrison, with whom she had Andy. Jake was Andy's half-brother. All the parents were dead; Andy came to Llanview shortly after Patricia died, and much of the backstory was revealed then. Later, when Max thought he was Asa's son, more of the Wingate/Asa rivalry was revealed. (Asa had taken Wingate's ranch in Sweetwater, Texas.) A bit of the Wingate stuff resurfaced in 1996 when Asa was pretending to be crazy and started calling Max "Wingate."

2. Not that I recall. Originally DuAnn Demerest claimed that Patricia Holden had had an affair with Asa -- which turned out to be true. The focus was on that story, and Max was ultimately shown not be related to Asa. The Renee stuff came up later around 1999, which was a bit of a rewrite.

3. Drew Ralston was shot in a flower shop, as someone else mentioned. 

4. No, Gabrielle's father was Dante Medina. Al (Alonzo) Holden was originally named after Cord's adoptive father, Al Roberts, because Tina was passing him off as their child. Later, Max and Gabrielle renamed him after Don Alonzo, Max's rancher friend in Argentina who had also been a friend of the Medinas. 

• Members

Brenda Brock (Brenda McGillis Grande) now lives in RI and owns an organic beauty supply company. I recently wrote to her and not only did she autograph the photos I sent, but she sent me a box of her Farmaesthetics beauty products! Watercress eye gel, a bar of saltwater bath soap, Cool Aloe Body Mist and Nourishing Lavender Milk lotion. I was so touched! It's going to be fun trying these products out.

• Members

She is interviewed in Jeff Giles' book Llanview In The Afternoon.  I don't recall Brenda ever getting even an exit scene.  I think she just stopped appearing.  BTW if you want to see her in a different role she did a movie called Troma's War shortly before her OLTL time.  She's a plane crash survivor on an island where she and the other survivors battle terrorists trying to destroy America.  She kicks some major butt in it!

• Members

This intrigued me because I recalled Brenda leaving after the Michael Grande murder trial.  She was involved with Larry, then had an affair with Dan (his son).  Michael Grande wanted to be close to her baby, who had been switched by Gabrielle and Tina, and the baby was later reunited with Brenda.  Michael got rid of Dan through a fake malpractice suit, and then married and drugged Brenda. 

Here's soap central synopsis of Brenda's exit

Dan figured out that Michael had been drugging Brenda all along and rushed to Michael's home, where he found Brenda unconscious in the foyer. Michael was murdered by someone else who had an axe to grind against him (Roger Gordan, Megan's dad), and Brenda was free to move on with her life. She took Steven and moved away, bidding Dan goodbye in April 1991.

Although that doesn't match the Classic OLTL SOD synopsis from Tumblr

On April 30, 1991 - contemporaneous with Gabrielle's exit after being threatened by Carlo Hesser and rejected by Max

Please register in order to view this content

Then from May 14, 1991

But then on May 28, 1991, Larry's back from Hawaii with no mention of Brenda

So, I have no idea how/when she left..

What I didn't recall was that Brenda had a brother Tyler who was initially involved with Andi Harrison when they moved to Llandview, but was later killed off the same year.

Brenda, Gabrielle, and Tina were all artifacts of the end of the Paul Rauch era that didn't make the transition to the Malone/Gottlieb era.

Edited by j swift

• Members

LOL, Joe Bob Briggs showed Troma's War on Shudder last season. He usually runs down the cast of a film and their other credits and background and where they are now. I don't recall if he mentioned Brock, I'll have to go back and check - he's hosted many soap alums on the show (Barbara Crampton, Kelli Maroney, etc.) and discussed their daytime experience.

I remember seeing Brenda in the background during Luna's intro episode in fall '91, but I may be hallucinating.