AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think ABC Daytime is headed the way NBC primetime went a year or two ago when they had Jay Leno go on 5 nights a week. NBC's reasoning was that even if Jay Leno didn't pull in as good of ratings as a scripted show, they would still make money because it was cheaper to produce. ABC Daytime is thinking this as well. However, what NBC didn't count on was that this Jay Leno move affected everything around it. Ratings went down across the board and affiliates were getting angry because the ratings for their late news were going way down. I suspect the same thing will happen with ABC Daytime. Only time will tell.

• Members

An interesting point you make about Leno, and it just goes to show that popular personalities (and I use that word generously :P ) cannot always carry a show... a lot of it has to do with the viewing preferences of the audience, the overall vibe the viewing experience creates. People like watching their procedurals then brushing their teeth and washing up while listening to the news before falling asleep with the late night hosts. Craig Kilborn was a very popular guy but his 30 min. evening/late night format syndicated talk show that trial ran last summer was pretty much a bomb. It wasn't particularly funny and it just never... felt right (for a variety of reasons). As a viewer, I enjoy watching food shows and reality television in the evening or marathoned on weekends. I'm just not really in the mood for either in the daytime, which is one of the reasons why I could never get through an episode of Starting Over.

• Members

Guess whose brilliant idea it was to move Leno to the final hour of primetime, before local news. NBC primetime still hasn't recovered from that.

Hint: ABC just signed that genius for millions because Couric insisted on having him as her show's producer.

• Members

Geez, enough with OLTL as the victimized red-headed step-child thing! It can't be said enough times that the only reason, and the only reason AMC may get more coverage is the Susan Lucci factor. She makes news. She is the only reason the mainstream media cares about AMC. If not for that, coverage for AMC would be just as minimal. I don't recall reading one article since news of cancellation broke that didn't start off with something like "All My Children, home to Susan Lucci and her alter ego Erica Kane for 40 years...."

Archived