AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*shrugs I like Katie Couric. And I don't think she has anything to do with ABCs decision to dump their shows. That was decided long before they even started talking to her.

All said, I'd take her anyday on the Today Show over that smug arrogant Matt Lauer. I thought her stint on the CBS evening news was a bust because no one sees her as a serious journalist and she's not. That all said, even liking her, I have no interest in watching her on an afternoon talk show and I think ABC is clearly overpaying for her. I think her time and come and passed. All this is is lame attempt for someone to try and capture that Orpah audience. And still people don't get it was Oprah and Oprah alone who brought those people in nothing else. And no one can "recapture" that audience.

• Members

I can't stand Lauer either - it's that whole Lauer/Couric era which seemed so fake to me, and Lauer is so condescending. There has been an insincerity at Today for a long long time - I guess it was there with Gumble and Pauley too but I thought they had a believable bond.

I don't blame Katie Couric for ABC getting rid of their soaps. I just have no idea why she's being given a talk show. If Jane Pauley couldn't make it work I don't think Couric can. Generally talk shows seem to be on their way out.

• Members

This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand, but it's still more stupid stuff from the talking heads at ABC...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/upfronts-abc-execs-jump-on-digital-bandwagon/

Upfronts: ABC Execs Jump On Digital Bandwagon

By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Executive Editor | Tuesday May 17, 2011 @ 5:11pm EDTTags: ABC, Advertisers, TV Upfront Market Comments (14) abc-logo-150x150.jpgFrom the presentations ABC, NBC and Fox executives have made to advertisers so far this week, you'd think they were more concerned about competition from digital media than they are about each other. ABC continued the pro-TV theme at its upfront presentation Tuesday, telling ad buyers that its shows -- and their ads -- translate well to digital media. Disney-ABC Television Group President Anne Sweeney reassured them that on the network's digital player, "the fast forward is disabled to make sure (viewers) see your ads." Although hard data was in short supply, ABC Sales President Geri Wang added that the company's research shows that commercials on its programs "deliver consistent ad impact" on devices such as the iPad as effectively as they do on TV. The company is preparing a study that will focus specifically on iPads. Execs added that ABC's programming appeals to young, educated, well-to-do people looking for escapist entertainment -- "just the demos you want to reach," Wang said. In hard times, "our brand of uplifting entertainment could not be more relevant," ABC Entertainment Group President Paul Lee said. But moments later, late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deflated that claim. Every year, he said, "we shower you with promises, and follow through on none of them."

• Members

You have to go back to Tom Brokaw for any sincerity. I don't know about others but I loved him and I enjoyed his stink on Meet the Press after Tim Russert passed away. But to me all of the news and talk shows are full of phonies. I think GMA is awful. I can't stand Diane Sawyer, although she is more credible than Couric was. I don't care for Brian Williams. He comes across like a hair model. Oddly I do like Scott Pelley. CNN, Fox, and MSNBC. About the only credible political commentator on any of those networks is Joe Scarborugh who gets the lowest ratings out of all of them.

Oprah had something that can't be replaced. She had an ordinary everyday relatable persona that just drew people in. It wasn;t her show it was her. Sure she got overexposed and maybe too popular but don't they all.

• Members

Oh yes I loathe Brian Williams - just so smarmy and smirking all the time. He's basically a more animated, orange Stone Phillips.

The last morning news team I enjoyed was CBS This Morning in the early 90's.

• Members

The worst part is it's not just the death of soaps - it's the death of daytime. Edsels like the Couric talk show or dirt cheap shows that exist solely because they are dirt cheap and it is somehow more affordable if only a dozen people watch them.

I really think the networks want out of daytime or in the case of this Couric show, will be driven out of daytime by costly failures.

In 5-10 years we will have the "freedom" of a dozen cable reruns of The Hills and Happy Days, TCM, home shopping, or the music channel.

• Members

It's not just daytime that is dead. Primetime's been dead for years on network TV. The only decent shows that are still on network primetime are on FOX. Every good show that's been on ABC has jumped the shark. IMO. And, NBC and CBS cannot keep a show afloat to save their lives. Aside from CBS's remake shows and spinoffs.

Cable is not that much better anymore. Besides stuff on FX, USA, and AMC.

• Members

I don't think Katie's all that bad. She's an acquaintance of a friend and she seems like a nice enough person. I remember one of her guest appearances on Rosie and she was really fun kidding around trying to make the muskrat sound in Muskrat Love. I think a less anal retentive format is key. That said, Meredith >>> Katie any day.

Btw, I'm not *condoning* this situation, just my take on Katie. And I cannot help but be reminded of the major fail Jane Pauley's show wound up to be, but Jane came across brittle and the show felt... inexpensive. All stops will be pulled out for Katie.

ABC announcing that all of their big O&O stations have made room for Katie at 3pm yet they stand behind GH sounds like the biggest line of contradictory [!@#$%^&*] yet. :lol:

• Members

I think 4hrs. of ABC gab fests are gonna rile some, "OMG, STFU!" reactions from viewers soon enough and they will tune out. Look at all the vitriol for The View, and geesh, even for Oprah. It gets tiresome listening to other people run their mouths for that long when you don't even get to chime in. Soaps, a totally different animal obviously. But apparently they don't want people who watch soaps watching their new shows anyway, so...

Archived