AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Disney has been trying to pare down ABC for months now. Daytime has not been the only area impacted. The news division has been gutted and the investment

in primetime lower than in past years. There is a reason ABC has been actively trying to push the concept of "Reality TV" for weeks on the network.

• Members

I believe that OLTL will stop taping right before Thanksgiving. Erika mentioned November. OLTL is so far ahead as it is. Makes sense that the show would stop taping before the holidays. That's when OLTL ends for me, when I know those sets have been taken down forever and no actors are taping in that studio. Makes me sad to think about all of those crew members out of jobs right at the holidays in addition to everything else.

• Members

But does that mean they are doing it to try to sell the network or just lower the costs to make a better profit? If they want to sell it to someone, why not just sell it and let the buyer worry about paring down the costs by cutting things left and right?

• Members

Because maybe the buyer doesn't want to pay for it as is, assuming there is a buyer. It's like selling a house. The buyer agrees to a certain price provided you agree to paint and have the furnace inspected.

There was a news item last year (year before?) where somebody was being investigated for insider trading and I vaguely remember a mention about ABC possibly being sold to a private equity firm. Who knows?

• Members

ABC Soaps In Depth Official Page ABC just sent out a press release announcing Katie Couric's deal -- the release states that ABC "continues to support General Hospital, and the plans to launch The Chew in September of this year and The Revolution in January 2012." As soon as we know what, exactly, Couric's show means for GH in the 3 pm timeslot, we'll let you know!

• Members

The one thing that stood out to me was

"The eight ABC Owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh/Durham and Fresno, which represent nearly 23% of the nation's TV households, have already cleared the new show in the 3:00 p.m. time slot."

Archived