AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

I think the point everyone overlooks is its network television. The money that was isn't there anymore. These networks are fighting for survival as a whole forget about producing a bunch of shows that are expensive, not generating zilch for ad revenue, and have no syndication value. One thing I can give credit to CBS for although I know so many people call it boring and a network for old people and how they produce one procedural after another, is they produce shows that syndicate well. ANd thats where the money is for networks these days. Its not in the first runs, its not in daytime, its in syndication money.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well. For CBS. It's not that they really cater to old people anymore. Their ideas just aren't original like they used to be. I loved some of their shows in the 90s. Even Diagnosis Murder. Now it's one CSI after another. :(

The only shows I can think of being catered to old folks was Matlock and Murder She Wrote. I know MSW was on CBS. Can't remember if Matlock was or not.

• Members

WHich is why these shows need to die like ASAP. I am ready for something new and fresh. Heck I even watch a couple of the Novellas on Univision now.

They aren't great, the acting lousy OTT and campy but they don't pretend to be anything other than trashy camp and fun. And they have good looking

people on the shows too.

• Members

I think soaps will be more like variety shows - once they're gone, they're generally gone.

I would like to believe the soaps will be back in some form - I can watch old stuff on Youtube, and foreign soaps, and I get a certain "soap" satisfaction from Doctor Who, but I still miss that old sense I used to have so long ago for shows like GL or ATWT.

• Members

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Katie-Couric-General-Hospital-1033983.aspx

Today's announcement from ABC that Katie Couric's new talk show — due in September 2012 — will take over the 3pm time slot currently occupied by General Hospital has left many suds fans freaked, others scratching their heads. Here's what it all means, according to an ABC rep who requests anonymity.

"Our release states that we're giving back our 3pm time slot to the affiliates. This is widely known as the GH timeslot, but this does not mean the inevitable cancellation of GH," the rep assures TV Guide Magazine.

But something will indeed have to go to accommodate Couric. "We are going to populate our daytime block with our strongest shows, the ones that resonate most with our audience," the rep continues. Doesn't this scenario encourage GH fans to boycott The Chew and The Revolution — the shows replacing All My Children and One Life to Live — in order to increase GH's chances of survival?

"We hope it will encourage them to watch and support GH," the rep says. "We will consider all options, such as making The Chew and The Revolution a half hour each, or making The Revolution and GH a half hour. This all happens a year and half from now. We are going to do our best to keep everybody happy."

Archived