February 14-18, 2011

Toups

• Members

+1

I think the brand stuff is a bunch of crap too.. AMC's had more chances than ATWT and GL got. Why should it get more? I also don't see both AMC and OLTL going at the same time either. Both going to half hour? No way at all. It'd kill both soaps so fast our heads would spin. It would have NO budget and barely any cast, all that would be shown was David and Rylee for AMC and on OLTL: Todd, and Jolie

You're assuming they would LOL. This is a show where the HW's said they have NO interest in bringing back fan favorites, even though there's a demand for it. Yeah so don't see it happening.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could see two or three wanting to work, willing to make the move. There really wouldn't be much more room on the canvus for more, anyway. Plus, there is the issue of cost and some of these people are expensive.

Some of the younger talent may be weak but are popular and have helped out with demos. The 'Krammer Women' plus Todd, Tea and their kids plus one Ford would be enough. A show can only have so many characters and any trasplants will need to be somehow connected either by blood, marriage or deep friendship.

As for the HUGE Y&R drop, I wonder if the Cane kill had anything to do with it. He was popular, the story was badly done and the ghost stuff painful.

• Members

When did they say that? And were they talking about cancellation? I find it hard to believe we wouldn't get Adam, Brooke, Joe, Ruth and Jamie back for a few ending visits. Perhaps Reggie and Lily can even return home from the moon. Honestly everyone else who matters to me is dead (actors and characters). So I guess they really don't need a full year. GL did a pretty decent job with returns in their six months because honestly once they announce cancellation, the stories don't matter anymore. Plus we did just get a nice anniversary special last year. At least I liked it even though I know a lot of people didn't.

I look at the whole who'll go first debate like this: both are dead shows walking but getting rid of OLTL means sandwiching their new talk show between two soaps which starts it off at a disadvantage. OR it means putting the new show on at 1:00 and bumping AMC to 2:00 which gives you the double header of trying to get the new show off the ground AND putting a bullet in AMC. IOW two shows worth of bitchy angry fans vs one. By killing AMC first they can concentrate on the 1:00 slot and build that up at the same time they develop the 2:00 show all while then euthanize OLTL on schedule.

• Members

On, I see both OLTL and AMC gone within 2 years. No one cares about the genre anymore plus SoapNet is dead. ABC will follow the NBC lead of doing low cost news/talk plus one soap, GH. NBC is tops in demos and spends little on the two extra hours of Today save Kathy Lee's botox.

• Members

Well I still think AMC will survive over OLTL. Weeks like this when OLTL is the lowest viewed show and the 18-49 demos are so close (Yeah OLTL is stronger in both the 18-34 and the 18-49, but I would think OLTL would need a more sizeable lead, like .2 or .3 to even be considered more valuable)

My guess is that this male version of The View will be taped in OLTL's studio (in the same building as the female version)..

And as far as the brand thing, that means nothing now. Both the AMC and OLTL brands are essentially dead. AMC will always have more name recognition but that means very little. Didn't Frons basically tell the cast of AMC that it was his goal to save the show at the meeting regarding the move to LA?

The money they would save cancelling OLTL for a cheap talk show would make huge business sense, even if AMC was over budget for another year until they finally cancel it. They will probably can JHC and get a new producer for the show's remaining months.

I will say that of ABC doesn't announce new head writers for AMC soon, I will begin to wonder...

(If it is Lorraine Broderick then I suppose a theory could be that she is returning to write the show's swan song, which would definitly be the right thing to do for fans and the show)

The ratings are too close, and they will go with the show they care about and still attempt to market (even though they know the brand is near dead) and that show is AMC.

Well I still think AMC will survive over OLTL. Weeks like this when OLTL is the lowest viewed show and the 18-49 demos are so close (Yeah OLTL is stronger in both the 18-34 and the 18-49, but I would think OLTL would need a more sizeable lead, like .2 or .3 to even be considered more valuable)

My guess is that this male version of The View will be taped in OLTL's studio (in the same building as the female version)..

And as far as the brand thing, that means nothing now. Both the AMC and OLTL brands are essentially dead. AMC will always have more name recognition but that means very little. Didn't Frons basically tell the cast of AMC that it was his goal to save the show at the meeting regarding the move to LA?

The money they would save cancelling OLTL for a cheap talk show would make huge business sense, even if AMC was over budget for another year until they finally cancel it. They will probably can JHC and get a new producer for the show's remaining months.

I will say that of ABC doesn't announce new head writers for AMC soon, I will begin to wonder...

(If it is Lorraine Broderick then I suppose a theory could be that she is returning to write the show's swan song, which would definitly be the right thing to do for fans and the show)

The ratings are too close, and they will go with the show they care about and still attempt to market (even though they know the brand is near dead) and that show is AMC.

• Members

I guess I am struggling with a couple of things. If AMC has the name recognition but everyone agrees that in today's market it means nothing how would that save AMC. Wasn't AMC moved to LA originally because the network was this close to cancelling it? It wasn't OLTL they were close to cancelling was it? So if reports are to be believed and OLTL is still in the black and AMC is in the red and their respective brands mean nothing, why would a profit driven network cancel a show that's still making a profit over one that is losing money. Put aside the fact that cancelling OLTL leaves a 1 hour gap in between the 2 shows unless they move one of them to a new timeslot which is potentially disastrous.

• Members

AMC has an abundance of riches when it comes to its history, D&D should be arrested for not tapping in that resource. If you look at the show now, except for a few stray bits and pieces of long-time history here and there, you wouldn't know the show existed before 2005. I suppose budget plays into it, but to come out and say they have no interest in bringing back former faves is insulting. It's just a slap in the face to viewers who've been watching for years. Good luck trying to court new young viewers who you think wouldn't give a rat's ass about the show's history. How's that been working out for you?

• Members

I think this week and last week were both anomalies. Last week's high numbers were outliers, as were this week's lows. It should be a fun month when networks and advertisers try to determine rate schedules :).

It has been interesting reading the ABC talk show conjecture. I had no idea any of that was going on. I think GH is the only "safe" ABC show, and that probably is shor term. It sounds like OLTL continues to throw stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks. That has been going on for years. Is AMC doing the same thing now?

I guess the good thing about a slow week, is it generated some interesting discussion on the ratings thread. :)

Archived