February 14-18, 2011

Toups

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I don't think there is anything to it. I think they used those two from AMC because they're right there. I think the show was written and named what it was in hommage to Fillion's association with the soaps and OLTL. No conspiracies going on there.

• Members

As much as I love watching the OLTL inferiority complex rear its head when this kind of thing happens even I don't think there's anything to it. It doesn't matter if the guests were Mathison/Budig or Benard/Wright from GH or Bree Williamson and the dude who plays Ford from OLTL, to most of the Castle audience, they'd all be "Hey it's that guy from that commercial!" and "What episode of Firefly was she on?" Castle asked for soap stars and Frons pimped his most convenient faves. I believe that was the beginning and end of the thinking process.

• Members

It's likely. I just remember reading in this very thread about how OLTL has the potential to gain viewers and AMC doesn't, and I don't understand why the potential isn't used, even on something this small. *shrugs* But there is a reason I never majored in business. LOL

• Members

Its's interesting to me that some still think the networks care about the brands of these shows when it comes to who goes first. Maybe I'm a cynic but when it comes to a product that's not a growth product with no potential for growth, I can't see that it matters much anymore. As for AMC and Lucci, she is the brand. All ABC would have to do after cancelling AMC is to give Lucci some sort of development deal. But I agree with someone else. I have a feeling Lucci is going to end up on Oprah's network.

• Members

SL isn't the only 'brand' for AMC. She wasn't the only one on the HiC crossover. I still think there's something to be said for AMC having the name, the face, and are STILL getting crossovers, etc. I just don't see that as a move that benefits anyone, if you're promoting a 'dead' soap.

• Members

I guess I don't see the Brand AMC still has because it doesn't resemble their Brand at all. I stopped watching AMC a few years ago,a show I adored for years, because it just wasn't recognizable anymore. And it has nothing to do with characters on or off the show, it just hasn't had the same feel and look to it. Personally if Lucci left the show that would be it's death knell. She's the only recognizable part of AMC. All my opinion of course.

• Members

I think the reason that AMC gets the crossover promotion because ABC is desperately trying to give it every chance to survive.

I would love for Susan to end up with a show on Oprah's network. She would fit right in there.

I think that you are right. This was the problem that GL had as well. B&B is a 30 minutes of soap floating alone in too many markets.

• Members

That's the way I've felt ever since the move. Pine Valley, CA just doesn't feel right and Lord knows I've complained enough about the wardrobe. I almost wish they'd moved production to Vancouver because I think that would've preserved the East coast feel with the West coast economics, not counting the issues with the US dollar.

It's kind of a shame they couldn't merge AMC and GH together in one facility and cut out overlapping staff and crew. Granted, I don't know anything about the production aspect but that seems like it would've been a good way to economize.

• Members

Some observations...

That weekly average for "The Young and the Restless" is a season low and snaps a seven week streak of averaging over 5 million viewers for Y&R, the longest streak since a 12-week stretch back in the 2009-10 season. The question now is, how many weeks will it take to get Y&R back over 5 million (assuming it goes back over 5 million). So far this season, Y&R has been below 5 million viewers for no longer than 4 weeks in a row.

Could everyone be over blowing the whole "ABC Daytime Announcement" frenzy? Perhaps the network is going to announce plans to syndicate a daily talk show (perhaps the one with Tori Spelling, although there has reportedly been no movement on that series in months) to fill the void left by the departure of Oprah Winfrey. Such a move - starting a daily syndicated talk show - would not really have any affect on ABC's daytime soaps. Besides, hasn't ABC taken great pains to assure nervous fans that their soap line-up isn't going anywhere, at least for a while? (i.e. moving "All My Children" out West, renewing contracts with the writers/producers of "One Life to Live", broadcasting the soaps in HD, etc.) Going back on those earlier promises will only reinforce the image that the networks lie to their viewers (or fans) and will only make those same viewers/fans skeptical of anything the network tells them. Perhaps the network will turn "The View" into a syndicated series (and ask interested affiliates to air it in the old "Oprah" time slot) and move the currently syndicated version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" to ABC Daytime and run half-hour episodes back-to-back to compete against CBS's "The Price is Right" in the old "The View" time slot (11:00 a.m. to noon)?

Although "Oprah" airs on the local CBS affiliate here locally, her series does air on quite a few ABC affiliates across the country, including in major cities where ABC owns the local station. That was used for years by folks at CBS News and NBC News to explain why ABC News saw higher ratings for their network newscasts...however, since "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" is tops, that argument has quietly faded away. So, perhaps this "major announcement" has to deal with ABC developing a syndicated talk show to offer to affiliates left with an hour to fill in the wake of Oprah's departure. If that is the case, this whole "AMC vs. OLTL" cancellation war will be much ado about nothing.

• Members

The two shows should be merged, if one gets axed, to please both fan bases. This means the mixing of sets, massive cast cuts for both shows and retention of the best of both casts. OLTL could loose have the cast and no one would even notice cosidering all of the bloat.

Maybe they can create a better, new show in the process. I enjoy OLTL but think both soaps are a bit stale. Maybe some transit between Pine Valley and Llanview will spice things up.

• Members

The only problem with that is that the merged show would definitely be based in LA, and I don't see their stronger actors like Strasser, Slezak, Woods, DePaiva, JVD, or HBS relocating. I could see their younger actors--pretty much their weaker talent--making the move, but what good would that do this new show?

• Members

Do you really think they care about that? Lying to viewers and fans has been SOP at ABC Daytime for years. The majority of the audience doesn't know the difference. 99.9% of the people who watch soaps have no idea about any of this BTS stuff and they won't know anything until the hammer comes down.

Archived