ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I don't think any of the remaining shows would be effected much if at all by the absence of the canceled soap. I was just trying to apply it logically, because logic would suggest removing the middle soap from the bloc is going to have least effect rather than getting rid of the lead-off show, but as you day... that is assuming the lead-in phenom exists. It probably doesn't. So it really is a moot point. I mainly was just responding claim canceling OLTL would somehow drive AMC's numbers down even further.

• Members

I fully expect both AMC and OLTL to get cancelled at some point. I think it's just which one goes first. Actually, I see

all soaps being cancelled in future years. I don't want it to be, but it's a dying genre.

• Members

While branding is very important and I agree that often corporate mentality can factor ego and other emotional rationale into seemingly illogical decisions, things are tight. The massive budget cuts tell me that any decision they make at the corporate level will be made for financial considerations. All of this reeks of last ditch effort. Changing time slots is always a risk because inevitably some people won't deprogram the DVR or watch at those times for a reason, but moving The View to AMC's time slot makes the most sense to me. OLTL is winning it's time slot and already leads into GH. In my market, Oprah follows GH on ABC and that is where I would put any new talk show.

I have to say, I'm surprised at the level of commitment ABC has shown to their soaps. The expedient solution would be simply to turn that time back over to the affiliates and let them run syndicated programming, if in fact the daytime lineup isn't profitable. NBC runs "paid programming" here vs. The View.

• Members

And I agree with you though, if just for the simple fact that people tend to remember what comes first and last in a sequence. Something new being sandwiched between AMC and GH, if you are a full-fledged ABC Daytime watcher, will have a much better shot than say AMC at 1, GH bumped up to 2, and new stuff at 3 with no promise of Oprah at 4. A lot more stay at home folks would start making their trips to the grocery store at 3.

• Members

Thank you. I just can't get worked up over this. Back when I did care enough to get worked up, people kept saying "If you don't like it, don't watch." How's that strategy sound now?

You can definitely see the stages of grief at work here. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. We've got folks at all stages. It's going to be insane when they finally pull the plug. For the record, it think AMC is the one that's most likely to go unless something external comes into play.

• Members

You know, as much as I want to toss my two cents in and say what I want to say about this whole thing (which, I will: I want OLTL dead and for its budget to go towards helping AMC get back on track; that's my bias, and I'm owning it because OLTL, IMO, sucks ass, and I can not forgive the way they [or WHOEVER] scapegoated and shafted so many people in the last year), as MUCH AS I'd love to say that getting rid of this EP or that HW would help either show, the fact of the matter is...when it all boils down, NOTHING GOOD CAN POSSIBLY HAPPEN AT ABC DAYTIME AS LONG AS BRIAN SCOTT FRONS IS IN CHARGE.

When the head of the network has absolutely no interest in soaps, their well-being, absolutely no idea how to fix a soap or help it evolve or keep it relevant or modernize it while keeping its identity firmly intact...there really is nothing that can be done...is there? If Sweeney did her job and gave a f!ck about the three shows that air over 750 new episodes a year on her network, then any "fixing" would have been done years ago when it became evident that all three were in dire need of re-evaluation and renovation. But, alas, the writers write sh!t, the producers can't produce, Frons won't fire them (or, if he does, he'll hire people just as bad), and Sweeney won't fire Frons (because, again, if she would ever let his ass go, it would have been done already -- and if not, I'd love to call this wench out on her standards).

So, yeah. I'm not even gonna waste my po' li'l typin' hands trying to rationalize any of this sh!t. Instead of pitting AMC vs. OLTL, I'm just gonna focus all of my anger at the useless bitch in charge. She's proven to be completely incompetent as far as soaps are concerned.

• Members

I think what's really sad is that there's been all of this emphasis on budget cutting and apparently no emphasis (MANDATE, really) on writing excellency. If I'm to believe what is said about Frons dictating story, why should I even bother really? Have you all seen the set for The Talk? That could be eight little double decker sets that never get taken down with a cast of 18 written by a handful onf brilliant thirtysomething writers and I would watch. Look at GL, that show was running on tin cans, paper clips, and Vaseline, that did nothing to save it because it was still for the most part ZZzzZZZZZZzzzZZ... It's like cutting off diseased limbs without prescribing medication to cure the illness.

I'm at an "Oh well" state, but bitterly/begrudgingly so. It's like when you realize a relationship isn't working, but it *could* have worked and would have been great if the person only did a few little things to get her [!@#$%^&*] together. But then again, if she can't think for herself and does whatever her mama tells her to, well, you're just dead in the water.

Archived