ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Members

It's not really doing that much worse than OLTL. People are making it out like AMC is getting pummeled by OLTL, it's not. And if ABC knows that JHC is the problem, why not replace her? Why go to the drastic length of a canceling a show that isn't really doing that much worse than the others, and COULD be kept under budget with a new EP.

It's not like AMC is to far gone to get back. I used to believe that. I used to want that. But I don't think it is anymore. With a good HW/'s and new EP in there, there is hope.

It just seems really drastic to me to say, "JHC can't keep the show under budget, lets cancel the show." I realize this is ABCD that we're dealing with, and they are rather stupid most of the time. But to cancel a show because of budget issues, rather than putting a new EP who could solve the problem? That's stupid, even for them.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think all three are safe for now. ABC obviously still has substantial interest in AMC, with the pimping on Oprah, Hot in Cleveland and Castle, and the updated opening. Hard to believe they would do all that for a show that they're planning to kill. Don't get me wrong...the show is essentially garbage IMO, with a few bright spots here and there, but I'd like to see it go on for a couple of more years and then come to a dignified ending. I would hope any announcement that comes would also include something about the show getting new HWs but I've got a feeling that D&D are here for the long haul.

• Members

I won't go into my big AMC budget analysis I wrote up moths ago but what else could a new EP do to save money? Have 100% of the scenes take place at Confusion instead of 50% at Confusion and 50% at Krystal's? Are there cheaper actors out there to hire than Sarah Glendening, Trent Garrett and Natalie Hall? Is it that JHC cannot keep the show within budget or could nobody realistically keep the show within the budget it is given?

If the multiple takes thing is true (and I find that so hard to reconcile with the low-quality of what appears on-screen) then that's certainly something. But then why hasn't Frons told her to stop it?

I do wonder though: if Frank Valentini is the God of Efficiency everyone claims he is, why haven't the other two EPs been told to do whatever FV does?

• Members

LOL, OLTL and B&B both have that novella thing going, though only B&B has been wise enough to capitalize on it. Thus far.

Yeah, I'm not down with the industry BIs, at least this one seems more forth coming with the info and less wannabe tantalizing. I don't always care for DC's tactics, but ever since I laughed at the idea of AMC moving to L.A. like the unicorns did at Noah and his arc, I do at least *listen* to what they say even if I don't take is as gospel.

• Members

Why would AMC have so much trouble keeping under budget though? Other than something being fundamentally wrong at the base level? The DC piece makes mention of a source naming JHC by name, and saying she can't do it and that the other shows can. That to me means she has to be PART of the problem. Why not remove her and see if it makes a difference? It just seems drastic all across to cancel. If the other shows can and are doing it, AMC should be able too. It's possible that a new EP could.

• Members

Daytime Confidential are the ones who said it. I do not think any soap is getting cancelled this year, but AMC deserves to be cancelled if it is still going over budget. I am shocked they are still doing multiple takes. I thought the 50% budget cut would buy all the ABC soaps sometime and if this is about an Oprah replacement shouldn't this be airing at 4pm? I do not think they will cancel a show with an established audience and risk the other two soaps on a new talk show. It just does not make any logical sense. Only time will tell....

• Members

This is what I'm saying. If AMC is over budget, there has to be reasons, it can't just be that they are, and need to be canceled. There's people who are in charge of these things. JHC clearly has some part in it. Why not take steps to FURTHER fix it, rather than cancel? It just doesn't make sense to me. I guess they could feel they tried and it didn't work, but still...if JHC is part of the problem, take her out and put someone else in. If that doesn't do anything adios AMC.

• Members

JHC has been there for, what, seven, eight years now. Obviously she has little creative input, or she would've been out on her ass eons ago. Her responsibilities MUST include budgeting, and if she's f-ed that up so badly, why is she still there? If she's been unable to keep the show's budget from ballooning, then surely she would've been ousted long ago. Her longevity can't be just be the result of the actors adoring her, which is supposedly the case. Her being there this long illustrates, for me at least, that the higher-ups think she is doing something right. THE problem with the show continues to be the writing and lack of vision, which is probably independent of her responsibilities. That issue lies squarely with Frons and his superiors.

Archived