ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Members

Also there seems to be some storyline changes going on at AMC right now and some things being cut and rushed. The Kendall/Griffin storyline seems like it's being rushed even more all of a sudden and I was wondering why that was happening. It seems like they are speeding up the "Who killed Zach" storyline and I wonder about other stuff that's going on.

I don't know when Angie will be back, I did hear that DM was supposed to start taping again like on Feb 2, but I haven't heard much else about when Angie will appear onscreen again. I haven't really heard much of anything about when Angie will have her baby or much about an upcoming storyline for her. The last thing I heard about the baby storyline is that Angie will be coming back on a train. But I heard that a while ago, and haven't really heard much about that storyline since.

I wouldn't want to see any soap cancelled, but I definitely don't want AMC to go. It is my favorite of the soaps. But I am concerned that it's in trouble, and could be getting cancelled.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can hardly believe I'm saying this as AMC has meant so much to me over the years, but I would prefer it to go over OLTL. :( I say that mainly because everything that made me love AMC is pretty much gone now save for the occasional warm feeling I get when I see Angie, Jesse, and Tad sharing a scene. If they and G-d forbid Susan Lucci were off the show, I wouldn't even bother anymore (and I rarely do now). And the thing is, I know without a shadow of a doubt, with or without AMC I will continue to see Susan Lucci on my boob tube. MEK and DW, I worry, but I know Miss Debbi will pop up in things when she's up to it. I say all this to say that if OLTL is cancelled, I fear that all of the talented vets will fade into oblivion. :( Maybe the odd play in the city or L&O appearance, but I just know I won't be seeing Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser as much as I require and I'm not ready for that. :(

• Members

The only one we KNOW is safe is GH. That's it. I don't want AMC to go, I prefer it to OLTL. But I don't want OLTL to go. I'm in the camp that Frons is going to have to hedge his bets, and that doing so means sticking with the 'brand'.

Dunno. We could all be reading this wrong and AMC is getting a new EP and HW's and there's more budget cuts, moves, etc. We don't even know for sure this is a show ending.

• Members

Frons does not get to decide what show is taken off the air - certainly not on his own. Whether HE personally values the 'name' over the budget, there are a lot of other people who have a say-so - and he would also have to convince them that taking OLTL off the air in favor of AMC is a smart business decision. I have no idea how he could do that.

• Members

If a show is going to go then it should be AMC. Legacy shmegacy. I really don't think the higher-ups at ABC-Disney are sitting around saying "We can't cancel the one with Erica Kane!". They don't even know which one that is, if they even know who Erica Kane is!

ABC will keep Cameron and Rebecca in the family somewhere.

• Members

He'll just point to the brand and put Rebecca Budig on some new athletic reality show.

The truth, though, is that in either case Frons has no one to blame but himself. He micromanages these shows. He insisted on more Rylee, a pairing even the actors did not want. He didn't lift a finger to keep David Canary, who he doesn't really want around IMO. He let Erica disappear for long stretches. He let them go hard with the Jordi Vilasuso Experience seconds after Zach was killed off, and I say that even though I actually really like JV and Alicia Minshew together. He insisted on more John McBain. I'm pretty sure he is Tess and the Fords' #1 fan. The network likely insisted on whitewashing OLTL. These drops on all the shows are his doing because his vision and his ego are more important to him than letting these shows be these shows.

• Members

In this case, though, firing JHC is perhaps the only time since Frons's ascension that an EP change would make a difference. With him around, the only things they really control are day to day budget, etc. management. Carruthers can't even do that; Valentini can. There has to be someone else out there who can do that job for AMC.

• Members

But can you make the argument that taking AMC off and trusting the brand to just OLTL and GH is any better of a decision? Does OLTL have the power to keep itself alive and be the only show leading into GH? I don't know that I believe AMC does either...but I'm hard pressed to really believe either of them can stand on their own with GH behind them.

• Members

There was like at least like 7 spoilers about Ricky and Ricky/Kendall/Griffin there were either cut or dropped. Including things that would have made Ricky more grey/sympathetic Spoilers from reliable sources including from this site, so I definitely think something going on there. IMO,he just went "EEVILL" way too quick, even if he was originally intended to be the bad guy.

They are rushing the Who Killed Zach and Kendall/Griffin and I think there's a reason for that but I'm not quite sure what it is. The Madison/Scott stuff seems rushed as well, and I don't know when Angie's supposed to be appear onscreen again. Her and the baby haven't been mentioned in a while. There is some odd stuff going on with the storylines at AMC right now.

• Members

There have been many, many periods in the last five to seven years where AMC might as well have not been airing AFAIC. Especially since B&E and Pratt. The show became first unwatchable, then at times like a non-entity, which is where I think it hovers now. OLTL is a pack mule, it'll do what it'll do regardless. AMC can't even maintain itself right now. What would it do with a sudden hole in the schedule at 2 PM? I think a lot of viewers would dissipate which is why I think ABC would be making a mistake breaking up the 3-hour soap block no matter which show goes.

Archived