ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Members

But does a talk/game show before OLTL do anything to help OLTL? Or if they slid OLTL to AMC's spot, and put two shows after GH, does that do anything really? I'm just trying to understand besides saving money, if canceling either show really does anything to help the other two. Unless they took that money and put it into the surviving show, it's only going to cause more damage. Not to knock OLTL, but I don't know that I buy even with more budget, it has the power to survive with just GH. I don't know if I believe AMC has the power to survive with just GH, either. LOL

Has the loss of GL and ATWT done anything for CBS?

ETA: I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but could it FINALLY be Frons getting the boot?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CBS now has shows which cost less money, so they would probably say it was a plus. Last I heard, LMAD was lower in ratings and demos than GL, and probably doesn't cost that much less, so in the end I wonder how much they are really saving - I guess there's the whole thing of CBS not owning those two soaps, whereas ABC owns theirs.

• Members

Oh please, that's just ridiculous. Do you honestly think someone is going to turn down a HW job that pays well into the six figures because the show "has the stench of death." The truth is that most soap writers have been around the block and that they probably find all these shows interchangeable. If they didn't want a job with any of these shows, it would most likely be because they don't want to be micromanaged. Especially in this economy and with the ever-diminishing number of soap writing gigs, I don't see a prospective HW turning down an offer to write for any show, unless again, they don't want to put up with micromanagement.

• Members

I do. Look who we got.

Yes, because as we know the soap opera head writer is the last bastion of creative primacy and discerning taste. The writer always gets fucked, but the soap writer gets fucked first, and that's the way it's been with increasing intensity since the 1970s. These people are used to a degree of creative meddling.

It's a combination of factors: Micromanagement, and the fact that this show is clearly going down.

• Members

I so do not want to see her come out as any sort of victor in this. :P When she and the ladies of The View were on Oprah the other week, I couldn't help but think about last year's scuttlebutt re: The View nabbing Oprah's timeslot in some markets and how if that is still even remotely a possibility, BW was relishing in that "introductory" appearance on O.

And then a MALE View on top of that? Lord keep me day by day...

• Members

I had seen that it may have been because of the advertisers not wanting to pay the same amount for repeats (lower rated) as they did for original episodes which would make sense. ABC would lose advertising dollars for the repeat shows.

• Members

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this is right, and if it is, if a soap is really getting the axe. I don't really see the loss of either show doing much to benefit the two remaining, especially because I don't see the money from the canceled show going to the benefit of either of the remaining two.

Is it to far fetched to think that they may just reshuffle AMC and OLTL? Let AMC lead into GH. Dunno. It could be a lot of things.

Archived