ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope they wouldn't pull a "GL" (or a "Ryans' Hope," "Doctors" or "Love of Life," for matter) and push AMC into an earlier timeslot, say 10am. That would really signal its death. Can they do that? Since that slot belongs to the affiliates, they can choose to air that or something else, correct? Wouldn't see AMC getting that much clearance over some cheapo talk show if that were the case.

• Members

And you know all of these people talk, they know the deal before going in. Money is a magnificent motivator, but believe it or not there are some people who don't want to wear the scarlet S of show killer, especially when it's little fault of their own. Even if the niche market of soaps where everybody knows your name is on its way out, these people in many cases will want to continue to make money once the shows are gone. Having a rack of cancelled soap operas as the last entries on your resume doesn't look so hot when you're trying to gain employment in primetime or film where they're already looking at you side-eyed.

• Members

My gut feeling is none of the 6 soaps is going to be canceled until 2012. It seems every year we have the talk show talk for ABC. I forsee them trying time-slot changes first if anything.

On average, AMC & OLTL are definitely too close in total ratings with AMC getting the edge & the 18-49 demo with OLTL getting the edge, if not in budget to straight out choose one over the other.

In the back of my mind, I do have some concern they may just axe a soap so GH doesn't have to get on budget which seems very unfair. GH really shouldn't be out there working like it has no problems to consider financially with the fall in demos they've taken in the past 6 months. They took their first firing back, we'll have to wait and see what happens next.

I agree. I think the problem is that most well-known executives and writers know how Brian Frons works and they don't want to work in that enviornment.

• Members

They did that with Texas too. That reminds me of EricMontreal talking about how they aired The City late nights on the Seattle affiliate he watched it on. Lord knows RC and FV would be the perfect ones to take "One Life" (the rumored redubbed title, remember talk of that?) to late nights where they'd save thousands of dollars on wardrobe, Susan Gammie doing the bulk of her shopping in the towel section at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

• Members

If they do get rid of a soap for GH I hope they will at least get rid of Guza, as the public has obviously rejected his crap more and more each year. When stunts like JJ or VMG's returns don't increase ratings, that means the show has a core problem.

• Members

Having watched a significant amount of "One Life" over the last few days, I think they would do very well to dub it in Spanish and license that version of it to Univision or Telemundo. It definitely has that heightened uber dramatic feel to it. I could just see John McBain screaming "Silencio puta! No mas!" at Natalie while she weeps " ¿Pero qué pasa con tu hijo?"

I just hope DC actually follows up on this little drop with real information and doesn't just let it sit out there the way they did with the 50% budget cut BI. That was ridiculous.

Archived