ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was working with someone who casually knew MEK and they told me that to his regret he blew a potentially big time career-making audition by ditching his script because he thought he was off book. He wasn't. He went up on his lines and had egg all over his face in front of some important faces. For whatever that's worth.

I think there are several factors at play. Sure, there are anti-soap snobs out there, but some people just have bad luck, audition poorly, are too impatient, live beyond their means and need employment, just love to work... But I don't think anyone from a soap who's had a taste of a primetime filming schedule would ever go back to soaps unless they had to or really really REALLY liked that kind of grind.

• Members

Mathison is probably lucky to have the career he has had. His peak outside of AMC-related work was a pretty boy supporting role in a flop movie, 54.

I think it's the same with Budig. Right place, right time with AMC, and they have kept her employed and given her many other opportunities ever since.

I know soaps are often seen as a burden to actors but I think most of those who have a chokehold on ABC Daytime likely would have been out of the industry long ago.

That's really fascinating.

I think MEK was also a little bit too...too pretty, too handsome, too hammy, too schmoozy. By the time he hit it big on soaps that wasn't selling well outside of soaps.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I love MEK. I think that he could've made the transition to primetime/film were it not for some bad timing and perhaps a taste for the high life when he was younger. That was a different time. The others I mentioned are guilty of the comfort zone thing to varying degrees. I honestly think the only reason Marcil returned to GH was so she could pay off her wedding. Fumero and Howarth...well that's for another thread.

Bottom line is that going backward has consequences and as these shows die off, it's less and less of an option.

Archived