ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In some ways MEK reminds me of John McCook - they're both very slick and can do comedy and drama but with a bit of ham. There was a gloss. McCook stayed away from daytime for seven years and mostly had guest roles (I most remember him from his recurring bit on Alice).

• Members

If MEK had been about 5 years older, he would have hit it big in primetime for sure. If Three's Company needed to cast Jack's younger brother, he would have been perfect for the part. But yeah, by the time he left AMC in '86, his type was no longer in favor. What's funny is that his current type would have worked in the late 80s.

• Members

I would agree. I know Carl has read it, but this reminds me of an article where Beverlee McKinsey talks about how she had to "mourn the death of (her) career." As a woman who'd reached a certain age (like 30!) she realized that things weren't poppin' like they needed to be for her to become a film presence in Hollywood and at that point they probably never would. Of course this birthed one of the most magnificent daytime careers of all time, but (insert any number of names here) ain't no Beverlee McKinsey.

• Members

I do wonder if, as scripted programming shrinks and everything becomes more and more fragmented, if there are less consequences for being on a soap. When soaps were seen as trash watched by millions of unworthy morons, there were consequences, but now, it's just another job on a genre long dead, in an industry where actors are increasingly lucky to find any work.

I just wonder because sometimes I see soap actors pop up in the most random places, like when Jeff Branson was in that remake of I Spit On Your Grave (I still have no idea why that movie was remade...).

• Members

It's something, alright. Colin Egglesfield went from not only AMC and the failed Melrose Place revival to the male lead in a Kate Hudson/John Krasinski romcom coming out soon. That would not have happened that long ago.

• Members

I remember flipping through mom's SOD and seeing a tiny blurb that SMG was cast in a new TV version of BuffyTVS ("Whaaaa??"), and maybe I'm exaggerating, but wasn't that like two years after she'd been off of AMC? Patience.

It's kind of like NY actors who fly out to L.A. for pilot season hoping magic will happen when they've never even taken a meeting with an L.A. CD. They're lucky if their agents can get them seen. Then they immediately fly back when they don't book anything, failing to make any new contacts for the future, and in some cases as we've seen, they end up re-signing with their soaps.

Archived