ABC Daytime to Make Major Lineup Decisions in Coming Weeks

• Members

I don't put much stock in the actual quotes of DC articles but I think this quote says alot about the stupidiety of what they've been doing with AMC:

"In the fall of 2009, ABC Daytime decided to uproot All My Children and move them to Los Angeles in a cost-cutting effort, however sources tell me the 41-year-old sudser has continued to run over budget since relocating in January of 2010.

“Julie [Hanan Caruthers, All My Children’s executive producer] just can’t seem to bring it in under budget,” says a source."

WHY IS SHE STILL THERE? *ahem*

I had no idea Gary Tomlin turned down AMC but he would have been an awful fit with it anyway...

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If affiliates are getting involved, this makes me think the hours of daytime programming are going to "shift" in some way. Like ABC taking the 1PM hour to 4PM(where Oprah ran) and telling affiliates to run network daytime programming at that time.

I think it would be a very ballsy move on Frons' part to move The View. They would have to convince affiliates to toss whatever plans they have/had at 4PM to carry The View. If the decision has to be made in March, this gives affiliates plenty of timePlus, stations don't get alot of ad money for network shows like they do with syndicated shows.

And how would The View perform as a 4PM show? The View is fine as morning fare, but will people want to join the ladies at the table later in the afternoon? At that point, everyone has already heard the news/hot topics that day and people at home are going to want their news/politics/spin from FOX/CNN.

If The View moves, I wonder what will occupy its slot?

• Members

Exactly. They come back home to Mom and Dad. Unfortunately, "Dad" in this scenario is Frons and he so busy making up the spare room for his faves that he's neglected to pay the mortgage. The people never cut the cord because they know they don't have to and Frons will throw the whole network into upheaval to make room for a return he loves ("real" Greenlee, Brendapalooza) but it never pays off in anyway that counts. It's just another example of how his capriciousness has brought us here.

• Members

• They could get an EP who knows how to handle a budget.

• They could give Broderick the HW position with an agreement that Frons has NO input other than what's necessary to the running of the department. No story input. No casting input. Nothing. If Broderick won't take it, find another writer but not one of these washed-up hacks working the circuit. Do a search, make the best objective choice they can, then give them the reins. There's literally nothing left to lose.

• They can change the way they handle viewer input. Acknowledge letters with a "Thank you for your input postcard." An autoresponse for email. Respond to the people on Facebook. (Yes, I KNOW 99% of them are idiots. Suck it up and deal.) Don't just lurk the boards. Come on out here and take your lumps. If the creators of Lost could handle it, so can you.

• Apologize. That's right. I said it. APOLOGIZE to the viewers. Tell people you've heard the complaints and are responding. Remember those "Wait'll you see us in 2010!" spots? Time to run the "Give us another shot" spots. The mainstream media will eat that up.

In short they can cop to their mistakes and really try to fix them. The time for band-aids is over. It's time for a bone marrow transplant. And yes, I know that everything I just suggested is heresy

• Members

Oh no. I absolutely don't think any of that will happen. Remember, I'm the one working on inventing drinks for the AMC Farewell party. (I'm thinking that the Fusion should contain Red Bull and Mad Dog 20/20). I know none of that will happen. But you asked what they could do and if they were serious about saving the show, they could do a lot.

Archived