OLTL: Discussion for the week of February 7

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He really is, but today I thought he was pretty good. In fact, I felt so bad for Rex when Clint called him a bastard and said he didn't want anything to do with him. That was vile.

I thought KA was decent today. The problem for me was not her acting. The problem was those scenes were bring down momentum of the church scenes.

• Members

At least Starr was allowed to mention her love of reptiles. That was appreciated. The wedding material, I expected more from everyone. I think how it was intercut didn't help matters along with the missing characters especially Matthew as he knew the truth about Rex and kept it quiet.

• Members

The main actors were good but the story is built on such a shaky foundation that it is difficult to invest. The main problem beyond that is that the younger actors in central roles constantly fail to deliver.

I also think that in the last few years they've made Bo very difficult to sympathize with and that takes away from some of his role in the story. Perhaps it's intentional so we won't see Clint as all bad, but there was a certain heart with Bo and Nora that isn't there now.

• Members

JPL would be perfect on one of those hammy Disney Channel kid/tween shows my nieces watch. That's not *necessarily* a diss. I just think he kinda resents that he's on a soap opera. :lol: Not resents employment, but it seems like he'll make any acting choice he can to stray from drama which is too bad because he's had one or two truly golden dramatic moments. Maybe he's afraid or lazy or just likes playing Rex the way he does, but it can be tiresome. I'd like to see him in an indie drama or something, where he has no choice but to try. I know I tease him like we all do, but I truly believe he has more to offer as an actor, we just have to suffer though his character because he chooses not to go there.

• Members

CarlD2 perhaps what you are saying is part of it--that the foundation of the material is shaky.

SoapSuds I hope you are right and it is strong tomorrow.

For example, Charlie is heartbroken over losing Rex as his son after a few months. I wish I cared, but I don't. A few scenes and characters saying they are family does not make a relationship.

They also have done a number on Bo, he is being written as sanctimonious. He lets Rex get away with breaking into people's domiciles and does nothing, but the second Clint does anything slightly bad (like during the writer's strike with BE)...Bo gets all upset. What Clint has done is bad, but Asa locked up Olympia for decades, and denied Bo as his son. So acting like Asa is a saint is wrong...

Also one of the biggest weaknesses with the story is the Clint and Bo relationship is other than around Asa's death, they were barely shown acting as brothers even before the situation with Nora. As it was Bo stopped acting like a brother to Clint when he didn't tell the truth about his feelings for Nora before the Clint/Nora wedding. Granted on paper, Clint should have never dated Nora, but Bo gave his "blessing."

• Members

I never felt like Bo cared that much about what he was doing to Clint by going after Nora, and while some of that may be Bob's performance, I think it has sort of colored my view of the story since. That and the sinking feeling I have that Bo will harbor very fleeting ill will towards Rex for keeping David locked in prison for months. I don't mind Bo saying that Clint isn't Asa, because he isn't, but all it does is remind me of how much more interested I would have been in a story where Bo began to act more like Asa.

Most of the characters Clint has interfered with never change, so his schemes have little impact. Jessica, Rex - they are so ramshackle, and added trauma or paternity revelations does little more than give an increasingly thin new layer of paint. The one part of the story that I thought was the most ugly and most ripe for exploration - what he did to Nora - has been downplayed. I don't know if they are just letting the story cool for a while or if someone watched the scenes and said, "Um...did you know that Nora could have been raped and killed and Clint was fine with it?"

• Members

I loved the wedding drama, but I agree with the criticisms here. Disappointed that the wedding didn't get an episode all to itself, or at least the majority of the episode. All that intercutting between Blair/Tomas, the teens, took away from the drama of the wedding. I guess they just wanted to drag it out over the entire week, but it's meant we had boring scenes on Monday, and not enough scenes on Tuesday; I mean, it's not like there isn't enough material to drag it out, considering the amount of characters that Clint's machinations effect. We could've had more from Viki, Natalie, Jess, Charlie, and I would've loved to have seen Roxy's reaction so much more than Gigi's two cents worth, considering Clint just brushes her indignation aside - gotta love that! :lol:

Plus, there are certain characters that needed to hear certain revelations/be the exposer of certain secrets - I love that Vimal & Rama revealed Rex's paternity switcheroo, but I really want Marty to be the one who exposes Natalie's lie, which doesn't look like will be the case. Plus, I can't stress enough how Matthew and Dorian should have been there, considering that they have been central players at different times during Clint's machinations - it's not right that they weren't there. Also, wild horses couldn't stop Dorian from attending this wedding. Totally unbelievable.

I did love Charlie's reaction, but the guy really is weak willed, and really needs to grow some inner strength. He gets hit with a little drama, and he's off getting his next drink. I do empathize with him, as Rex was his do-over, and now that's been snatched away, but he can still be a father to Rex. It isn't all about blood, as Charlie should know, but I guess, there's nothing like having your own biological child?

They didn't bother to make an excuse for Matthew, but they did say that Roxy was too hung over to attend her own daughter's wedding, and that Todd hates weddings, which is why he, Tea and Dani weren't attending. All lame excuses. If it's a budget thing, then omit the teens, as they were annoying and boring and drag the show down, and spend their episode wage on the characters that should have been there. It's like the Starr & James story couldn't be picked up in a week or two.

What's that phase? Two many irons in the fire, or something? I love complicated stories, but it feels like this umbrella has had too many beats to play, and not enough time to play them in. There have been a lot of reactions that haven't happened, or have been rushed through, and Bo is a casualty of this. I hated how he didn't even flinch when Ford said the attack was in retaliation for him seducing a mentally ill girl, who happened to be his niece! I guess a non reaction maintains a squeaky-clean Ford. :rolleyes:

Archived