All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually like the way that ABC is showing reruns now. It's more random, but I prefer the 1 or 2 reruns a month set up to them taking a whole month off, (which I think could cost them viewers). And I also prefer it to the option of them only airing 4 shows a week all the time.

IMO, them deciding to air reruns on different dates here and there, is not much different than it would be if there more holidays in the year. Or if there were more press conferences/special reports happening that would prevent people from seeing soaps on various days.

I don't mind the air an old episode on various dates like Feb 11th, or dates like March 13th, April 18th etc... type of set up. I just think it would be better if they let people know a few days ahead of time, when they will air the next batch of old episodes. And I would like to see them go farther back in the vault than like the 2000's for AMC or 95/96 for GH. I would like to see them air more classic episodes from the 90's, 80's, and 70's.

Regarding the blind item, I wouldn't wish for any soap to lose 50% of their budget. But I definitely hope it's not AMC. AMC's my favorite of the soaps, and I think it would really hurt AMC to lose 50% of their budget. Especially since they have already been taking measures to save money.

• Members

It sucks for any soap to have 50% of their budget slashed but I am hoping beyond hope that its not AMC and that its GH. I love AMC and I feel like a broken record saying that but I don't want it canceled. AMC, B&B and DAYS are the only shows that I actually look forward to seeing each day. GH had me there for awhile but Vanessa Marcil who I wanted to come back has ruined the show for me. Robert Guza needs to be slapped!

• Members

One good way to shut off a big drain on ABC-Disney's budget: fire Frons and do away with the Daytime Division altogether. :D

If ABC soaps aired 11 months of original content annually with 1 month of reruns/something else OR 58 reruns annually instead of the current 18, how would that generate income for ABC's soaps?

• Members

Aisha Tyler's talk show pilot failed after two tryouts in mid-2009. At the time, ABC insisted the pilot was for syndication or cable. It wasn't a replacement for one of their soaps. There had been strong rumors earlier that OLTL or AMC would be canceled (this was before they announced the AMC move). It slipped out to the business press that a Canadian affiliate had asked ABC for one hour of their soap block back. Between the two lowest-rated, they preferred taking the OLTL hour back because its low ratings/demos were losing it the most money. Here's their latest talker pilot:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/11/abc-finds-man-for-tori-spelling-and-is-developing-show-for-food-networks-danny-boome.html

Archived