All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Members

If it is GH I see some big cast cuts coming. Geary-Elliot-NLG-Rademacher-Big.

50% is huge, they can't safe that much money with cutting little people and they will not cut MB, VM and SB. I also see Edward dying now. And if it is GH that gets the big cut, it is save to assume that the other two soaps got a cut too, we know they all letting people go.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WSJ made mention of Disney's low profit, trouble at ABC, and oddly talked about cuts at ABC Daytime which is but a small fraction of the overall business. If OLTL is always under budget, maybe they are just making the cuts formal and putting them down on paper. This would have no major effect on the show and make the bean counters happy. OLTL already has a huge cast and could use a haircut, anyway. The same is true with GH. A reduced number of shows means a reduced amount of story and I guess less characters will be needed.

BTW, the repeats suck and this weeks 'Hunks' package was silly.

• Members

These budget cuts have nothing to do with ratings it is probably more along the lines that ABCD isn't paying the bills any more and Disney money counters are giving Frons less money to throw away. I can honesty believe that they don't care how it's done just that it gets done or like Marceline said ABC daytime will have a whole new look. The cuts are going to come from the show that has a 50% higher budget then the other two, which is probably GH from all the talks which will probably put them more on par with AMC/OLTL. Frons is a business man and it is in his best interest if he keeps all three soaps on the air the moment one fails the other two will follow. The bottom line is if Disney can find a cheaper, successful replacement for one soap they can find it for the other two as well.

And please coming under budget does not in any industry prevent you from getting your budget cut if the higher up feel the need, most likely they will think if you are doing so well with the little you got then you can manage with a little less.

• Members

That is very true, I can imagine that Frons micromanages OLTL's budget very often because Valentini has seemingly done very well under such circumstances. GH might receive a bigger budget, but the fact that OLTL comes under budget also helps the rest of ABC daytime, as it allows for Frons to send the money saved to either AMC or GH.

• Administrator

I can't imagine it being Y&R or BB. Their demos, and viewership, have been consistent for the past 2 years, and they (or Y&R) just got a 3 year renewal.

I think it's AMC because they've bottomed out in demos for the past 6 months or so and you add in JHC's mismanangement of the budget.

• Members

I'm wondering if it's GH, too.

I mean they cut Rebecca Herbst, who has been on for a LONG time. I'm sure she cost a lot more than say...That irish creature.

OLTL cut Brittany Underwood, but how expensive could she be?

AMC cut nobody.

I'm really thinking it's GH.

Archived