All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this is even true, whatever show it is will probably see most of the cuts behind the scenes (wardrobe, makeup, production people, etc.) and reduced guarantees, and maybe even a couple of firings or bumps to recurring (Ingle, York, Elliot, Grahn, Anderson), for their on-air talent. With the possible exception of a couple of actors gone, I don't think the show will look any different. Anyone who doesn't read internet news about the show probably won't even notice the difference.

Guest dc cubs

Yes, you are right that those things you mentioned above will definitely come into play. However, there will most likely still need to be some big cuts from the stars salaries. Maybe they don't all have to be firings as some stars can agree to renegotiate their contracts for a lower salary.

When the Days budget was cut by 40% in 2008, Days let go Hall, Hogestyn, Nichols and Evans. Plus, Sweeney, Reckell and Alfonso took pay cuts. Reckell and Alfonso also have low episode guarantees now and really can't be driving major story that often.

That is also when Days revamped their whole shooting schedule. Now the studio is dark about 14-16 weeks a year. They typically tape 3 weeks a month and during holiday months its only two weeks. There are no more rehearsals and its one take and you're done. There is no overtime as everyone is done by 5PM.

Days also reduced the number of sets it uses and that is very noticeable on the show. IMO, a 50% budget cut will have a very noticeable impact on any show.

• Members

Could it be GH? Can the tptb at ABC realize that all the James Franco/VMG stunt casting has done nothing to ratings. I love myself some Brenda Barrett, but what an amazing finale it would be for the mob story to go out with Franco killing the soon to be Mrs. Corinthos, catapulting a sl that has the mobster and his cronies leaving PC and calling it day.

I guess when pigs fly... or when JFP gets the boot.

• Members

True story. Just finished texting my cousin, 23, from North Carolina. she's all "what are you doing?" and I'm like "waiting for this soap opera to go off." She's all "lol! Spanish ones?" and I'm all, "No... One Life to Live."

She says: "Never heard of them."

Ouch.

• Members

LOL, R. That's sad.

I truly hope it is GH though. It would do them so much good. They just need to start with the cast cuts right now.

Maruice Benard, Laura Wright, Steve Burton, Kelly Monaco, Vanessa Marcil-Giodinothingfortheratings, Dominic Zamprogna, Lisa LoCicero, Brandan Barash.

Bump other actors down to recurring. Nathan Parsons, Lexi Ainsworth, Jason Cook, Bradford Anderson, Julie Berman.

Re-design the entire show. Phase out the Corinthos clan. After Morgan is killed in a brutal accident, Sonny can't bear to be in Port Charles anymore. He does what's best for his kids and moves to Miami, where he has mob connections, and starts a front there. Jason and Sam get married and leave Port Charles together. Carly leaves town with Josslyn, after realizing Port Charles has brought nothing but pain to her children.

Michael stays behind and ponders what to do with his life. Eventually, he decides mob is out of the question, especially after his brother was killed because of it. He takes Edward up on his offer to study ELQ. Tracy and Edward become mentors to Michael.

Focus on the hospital. Continue using Robin as the center of the "young" hospital blood. Hire a few low-key actors who don't cost much to spice things up. Bring back Liz, of course. Bring on a few new nurses, as well, on recurring. Have Kelly and Lainey return and play up the Liz/Lainey/Kelly/Robin friendship.

Use characters like Monica/Bobbie/Lesley as matriarchs to their respective families. Keep the younger storylines involving Maxie. Bring on a new Lucas. Bring back Dillon and even a couple of new recurring characters in that age range.

Let Nikolas have a blossoming romance with Brook, but play him up. Have him more active at the hospital as a board member. Use Lucky as a grounded police officer. Let him settle into a B-storyline romance with Maxie. Even bring on a newcomer as an interloper to the relationship.

Let Lucky and Lulu go to Bobbie and Lesley for comfort, advice and support. Use Nikolas and Lesley tol re-establish Nik's family ties in PC.

Hell, for old times sake put Monica and Lesley in a triangle with Mike.

There are so many ways to cut down the budget of the show. All of the people I listed would come very cheap. When they bring on new characters, don't hire some famous star from another soap.

If they're not going to give JZ, LC, and DA contracts, use them on recurring! It's cheaper than paying contracts for any of the airhogs they use now.

Combine that with cuts in makeup, production, etc. and the show could cut 50% of it's budget and be better than ever.

Archived