All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

General Hospital is probably the only soap that could survive a budget cut that big. Could you imagine Days or Y&R with a 50% budget cut?

How many of these blind items get revealed? The only reason they do these blind items is because primetime does it too.

• Members

I like Daytime Confidential and often their podcast is hilarious. They also often have good sources. But this whole journalism thing has been an onstage learning process for them since the start, and a very rocky one, and it's far from over. They hooked up with Branco quickly and that was a bad idea; unfortunately, it was compounded when they ended their association by having Jamey Giddens do a very public twitter meltdown which was at least as embarrassing-by-proxy to read as anything Nelson Branco has ever done. Also, they go with trends a lot. They've excused a lot of [!@#$%^&*] on the ABC soaps and on Y&R that I would never think is watchable. And this is a personal gripe, but occasionally one commentator or another's knowledge of some soaps - particularly Jamey with OLTL - does not extend beyond the last decade, and so they spout off sometimes without having a clue what they're saying. (I think Jamey started watching OLTL in 2004, so it burns my ass when he starts saying Michael Park and Jon Hensley are young enough to be playing Kevin and Joey, give me a [!@#$%^&*] break, please.)

I think their heart is in the right place and more often than not they make very good, intelligent points about the problems with the genre at large and its need to build a future. But I think they too often give websoaps that are genuinely not good huge PR - there's only a few I find bearable - and they need to be a little more critical of those. Most of all, I think their (or rather, Jamey's) public behavior still leaves a lot to be desired, because right now they are down at Branco and Hinsey levels at times. Social media and networking are fine tools but they are also easy ways to make someone reasonable look like an ass; these are the perils of easy accessibility combined with instantaneous impulse. Giving into that kind of infighting just makes them look like the old soap press - vindictive, immature, often drunk (Carolyn) and unable to see outside the "insider circle" which is actually a tiny, sad little world.

• Members

That reminds me of the whole "Top 10 Babies Who Didn't Know They Were Born," which gleefully trash-talked a number of soap actors who didn't know what they were doing in 2010, yet pointedly ignored Eden Reigel, who is the most hated high-profile Y&R recast since Shari Shattuck, yet who is a DC favorite, if the never-ending plugs of Imaginary Bitches were any indication.

• Members

It's been leaked and proven. Yes she does make 1 MIL per yr. and no she did not take a cut, neither did Cam. *but it's thier prerogative* Did you hear this Griff/Kendall S/L is not gonna last and Lish is moving back to NYC, this is just to get to her to finish out her contract. Nouri is gone too.

Archived