All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see what you're saying but that's the benefit of the telenovela model. Some people would tune out while others would tune in. AMC for example: those of us who are more interested in Natalia than Greenlee might tune out for the latter's arc and tune back in for the former's. OLTL could've given Kish a decent story then back burnered them without crapping all over their fans. Right now, if you aren't a Rylee, Jolie, Jasam fan, Frons has made it crystal clear that you can go [!@#$%^&*] yourself.

Honestly the telenovela model is probably the only hope these particular shows have for surviving with any creativity intact.

As for L&O, I love that show but one of the benefits is that it's always going to be there. Viewers know they can stop watching anytime and start back to watching anytime.

• Members

I can see what you're saying. I wouldn't mind a telenovela format at all. It would allow me to stop wasting my time when it came to stories i don't like.

But knowing ABC, they would have four "blocks" of telenovelas a year for GH. One for Sonny, One for Jason, one for Carly, one for Dante. bleckk.

• Members

I just remember back in 2004 I think it was NBC took two weeks off for the Olympics and ended on a big episode. (I believe Chloe "died" in a car accident and there must have been something with Marlena as the salam killer). I couldn't wait for it to start up again. But I could see how this is potentially dangerous given how half the reason one watches any given soap must be habit.

• Members

Fascinating. Based on the last few posts I'd be interested to see who'd be willing to embrace a telenovela format and who wouldn't.

Personally I would rather see every ABC soap canceled tomorrow rather than give Frons/ABC's misogynistic, racist, homophobic, obsolete vision of storytelling/training another day of life. At this point, I think it would be great if AMC held an auction/drawing/contest for those of us who would like to help MCE pack up her dressing room then go to the farewell party. I know I'd pledge good money for the chance to wish both her and Shanon Kane well.

• Members

Surprise!! It's The Price is Right! Instead of giving away an ENTIRE living room, you get just a chaise! Instead of getting ROUND-TRIP AIRPLANE TICKETS to the Bora Bora Pearl Beach Resort!!!!, you get A ONE-WAY TICKET to beautiful downtown ABU DHABI!! Instead of a brand-new 2011 CHEVY VOLT, you get a second-hand 1991 CHRYSLER NEW YORKER!!!

Archived