All: One soaps budget cut by 50% according to DC

• Members

I don't think it's OLTL. I don't believe all the "Valentini is a bugdet wizard" stuff but I have no doubt it's already got the smallest budget. So it's either AMC or GH. My gut (a la Bo Buchanan) tells me it's AMC but I could see it being GH based solely on the idea that they probably have the most available to cut. Successful or not, AMC already did something by moving west. GH has pretty much just gone about its business so it could be their turn to feel the pain.

ITA but Frons isn't the only person in this mix. There are other execs, advertisers, shareholders, board members and potential buyers of ABC to think about and if enough of them start getting nervous, he'll do what needs to be done or hit the unemployment line with everybody else

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol:

If all the soaps cut 20 scripted episodes a year already, I am very nervous where this 50% is going to come from, whether its GH, AMC or OLTL. My guess is the most expensive stars will be gone. So many have already taken a pay cut already. In AMC's case, how many NYC people uprooted their lives to move with the show... something tells me some wouldn't be too upset with leaving and going back to NYC. I;m thinking big here. I'm thinking Lucci big here :unsure:

• Members
They shouldn't have made this transition with Julie Carruthers in charge to begin with. She has shown, time and time again, that she is incapable of balancing a budget.

The writing is a problem on this show, I totally agree. But alot of AMC's problems, IMO, is that the production is so unimaginative and uninspired.

Debmar-Mercury....The New King World! :wub:

ABC needs to do a full hour of news, ala Megyn Kelly/FOX News. Except less partisan.

Debmar-Mercury....The New King World! :wub:

ABC needs to do a full hour of news, ala Megyn Kelly/FOX News. Except less partisan.

• Members

Just look at DAYS: Big stars cut, whoever is left takes an even bigger pay cut, the same sets are used every day, scenes are banged out in assembly-line fashion, rehearsal and direction are basically non-existent.

That said, I do think DAYS gets a lot out of the little it has.

But yeah, the relative success of CBS' The Talk has, I'm sure, accelerated the demise of the ABC lineup.

• Members
Sam Champion will be giddy with delight.

If ABC is considering axing one of it's soaps for a talk/news hour, the best bet is to put that on in the noon hour and push the soaps to 2 and 3PM. If OLTL is canceled, push AMC back so the two soaps are paired together.

Courtesy of Giddens:

Jamey_Giddens Jamey_Giddens

Still wondering which soap got hit with the huge budget cut? I'll give you a hint, it ain't in NYC. http://tinyurl.com/46pzaa7

17 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

• Members

That makes sense, to move both soaps up, although I hope ABC doesn't cancel any soaps.

I think GH is more and more likely as the show with the budget cuts. I wonder if they've had a feeling for a while, which would explain the slow downgrading of Liz's role on the show.

Archived