GH: Actress OUT??

• Members

Seriously. My 62 year old MORMON neighbor watched the ABC soap line up with me one day last week. When it was over she looked at me and she said "Wow, these shows really want you to believe you are nothing if you don't have a baby don't they?" :blink::lol: It really made me think about how much these shows have become about baby obsession, versus adventure and romance.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you think thats bad then go watch AMC bc they have ALOT of kids under the age of 7. Emma, Kathy, Jenny, Trevor, Gabby, Miranda, AJ, Spike and Ian. Thats 9 kiddies! And I believe Angie is having twins and Madison is also pregnant so the final count for in a few months may be up to 10

• Members

Yeah, but it wasn't always like this. Older soaps were no where near as baby crazy. I like watching people have a more glamorous, adventurous life than what I'm leading. I'm living a domestic life, I have no need to see soap characters doing the same.

I remember, there was a rumor a couple of years ago that Cam would die, I wonder if the Liz character wouldn't have been better off if that had happened. It could have been some really good material and maybe they could have taken the character in a darker direction.

I don't know. I've never really been a Liz fan, but I'm always sorry when a soap loses a character that's been on 10+ years. I agree with those who think this has a lot more to do with budget than anything else. I think the low ratings are finally catching up with GH and they had to get rid of some mid level actors, since they've already decimated the vets.

• Members

Steve Burton (via Twitter): Hello everyone, most of you have heard the horrible and awful news about Becky. My heart breaks as I even have to tweet this. One of the best and most beautiful actresses that has been on this show. Beside that, she's a friend and that hurts. Some show will be lucky to have her. May god bless them through this transition. Much luv to Michael and Becky.

Kelly Monaco (via Twitter): So sad and devastated by the loss of Becky, an amazingly talented woman, from the GH cast. It makes me worry about the future of Daytime.

Tyler Christopher (via Facebook): In my many years on General Hospital dozens of actors have come and gone in one fashion or another. I have never been as shocked as I am now over Becky being let go. Elizabeth Webber has been an intricate part of Nikolas Cassadine since nearly the inception of the Characters. I will miss that, and my friend.

Also a great write up by Regan Cellura from Daytime Confidential here.

• Members

Becky tweeted on her husband's account:

Hey this is Becky using Michael's account .... Just read Regan Cellura's article ... Thank you for loving Elizabeth as much as I do!

Scott Reeves tweeted:

Just wanted to let you all know I am heartbroken over the dismissal of my amazing tv sister!!! Feels like she's my real life sister. She is a strong, beautiful and extremely talented woman with an incredible husband by her side. I can't wait to see what huge plans God has for them. You, the fans, are so awesome and supportive and we love you more than you know! God bless.

Kimberly McCullough tweeted:

I'm sad about Becky too...such a great actress and what a lovely person

• Members

Cheap, I have to WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree there.

Is Victor Newman not still a huge part of Y&R? Is Kay Chancellor not still a huge part of Y&R? Even Nicki, Jill, etc. are ALL used more than GH vets.

Is Maggie Horton not still central at DAYs?

Are Viki and Dorian not still leads at OLTL?

Is Erica Kane not still front and center at AMC?

That's more than you can say for ANY GH veteran of that caliber. Leslie Charleson, Denise Alexander, Stuart Damon, Jackie Zeman, and even people like Becky Herbst...Characters like Georgie, Emily, etc. GH is the only soap where ALL vets and legend characters are seen as expendable.

• Members

It isn't true that GH doesn't appreciate its veterans, it just appreciates some more than others. GH has a clear hierarchy about their vets. Luke, Sonny, Jason, and Carly are the big fish. Other vets like Lucky, Nikolas, Jax, Tracey, Robin,Elizabeth, and Alexis are lower on the food chain, but get some constant airtime. I don't have a problem with GH firing their vets. I don't think they owe anyone a job for life. Fans of particular characters may hate to hear it, but sometimes there comes a point where there is nothing left for a character to do and it is appropriate to end it. My problem is with GH is that Guza consistently fires the wrong vets. Characters like Sonny, Luke, Jason, Carly, and Nikolas have been wrung dry. There is absolutely nothing left for them to do or contribute that is new or interesting. I concede that Sonny's dramas do seem to bring the ratings so they should keep him, but give him a more supporting role. The rest of these characters are just played out and should be put on the chopping block. I'm not a fan of Elizabeth or RH who I think is highly overrated, but unlike the vets I named, I think that her character can still be useful. There is loads of story left for her with Lucky and his new love interest. Regardless, I don't think that this decision is the end of the world. GH is going down the drain at the same pace no matter what cast changes are made.

• Members

and where are Days' John and Marlena? Austin, Carrie, Lucas, and Patch? AMC's Marion? OLTL's Lindsay? Y&R's Brad? Were fans not in an uproar when OLTL's Phil Carey, AMC's John Callahan, Y&R's Jerry Douglas axxed/dropped from contract? I can list many more examples. Is GH the worse? Yes, but to say it is the ONLY soap that views vets as expendableis a one sided and gross misrepresentation of the overall tone in daytime. They ALL have been dropping long time vets regardless of what fans think. I cant see how anyone can say GH is the only one out there doing this.

Archived