November 15-19, 2010

Toups

• Members

I know that fans were not overly happy with Pratt but the ratings were far strong and on the up swing at about the time he was let go. Haven't watched very much AMC, therefore am a poor judge, but didn't mind his style of storytelling. He seemed to be a strong writer, just not the right fit for AMC. This must have been something personal between Frons and Pratt. Also, sort of suprised that Pratt did not end up working for another soap--might be a good replacement for Hammer or Hogan on Y&R. Personally, I would have loved seeing him picked up by ATWT because anything would have been better than those two final years of Gout and Piss.

Shocked that B&B beat OLTL in 18-49 and I say beat, instead of tied, because B&B actually gained 2,000 viewers while OLTL lost 33,000. I still question whether a real ratings 'tie' is ever really possible. For a long time, B&B was demo-challenged but the new teen beat cast seems to be helping. Bell did a good job with casting and Bold is undergoing a major reboot. Thom is totally nu-Ridge. Hope they don't mess up by pairing him with La Amber.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't disagree more about Pratt and I'm reasonably sure his firing had more to do with Agnes Nixon or someone else associated with the network than Frons. I can't remember how it was worded at the time, but it seemed obvious that it wasn't Frons' choice. Pratt was writing Frons' style of plot-driven dreck with no pauses for the characters to reflect on what just happened or to remember their own pasts. I can only imagine ATWT under Pratt; Lucinda would've gotten involved with Holden ala Erica/Ryan. :rolleyes:

• Members

Under Marland, Lucinda got it on with Craig (her daughter's man) so a Holden story wouldn't be such a reach. With the correct wardrobe, Hubbard looked pretty good and it would have been nice to see her get some real story as well as action. Pratt at ATWT was meant tongue and cheak only because he was good at boosting demos and, in addition, anything would have been better than the Goutman/Pissy pen. By 2009, the writers of Dora the Explorer would have been an improvement.

Didn't think Dixon had any real control? Isn't her role symbolic? ABC daytime seems to be the domain of Frons alone. I seriously doubt higher ups at The Mouse House care much about AMC. Also, it seemed as if ratings were on the upswing so what was the motive behind the firing? My only guess was that Frons wanted a clean slate, new direction for the move to LA. This or that Frons felt, after the pancake murder spree, that Pratt didn't have the chops for such a major transition.

Agreed, and I love the word dreck ;)

• Members

I never understood the whole Pratt firing other than rumors that the cast was not happy with what he was doing and they had limited access to him to discuss storylines. But what he was doing as awful as it might have been did at least have a short term positive impact on ratings. It's likely they wouldn't have held but Pratt is the master of big stunts and event so maybe a disaster every 6 months would have kept AMC more afloat ratingswise than what they've been doing.

What's disappointing is the fact that no one wants to risk alienating any of the remaining viewers by making a courageous writing choice, hiring a new young talent, that could take the shows in a new direction. They just seem content to wait out the end of this generation of the genre. I guess that's the safest approach in today's television climate. There aren't shows getting 20-30 million viewers in primetime anymore(aside from big sporting events)there are too many other options and daytime suffers from the same thing. My my biggest complaint is how dated the storytelling is on soaps today and how they continue to rely on what they consider soap staples, many of which are no longer relevant in 2010. Personally I am actually looking forward to what comes next. Some of the websoap stuff hasn't been too bad. I don't know if that's the future but it is something different.

• Members

However, the "future" keeps getting delayed by network people renewing sh!tty soaps and rewarding dismal ratings. Because, first they need to die and after death comes a resting, quiet period and then something new might pop up. It's like a fire in the field: the plants become carbonized, but they do not grow all green and flowery tomorrow.

• Members

I haven't watched GH in eons but I am actually saddened to see Vanessa's return really taking a dive. I love Vanessa and I honestly wish she would have never returned. Her last return was triumphant, she helped raise ratings, she won and emmy an left with her success. This go around, I can only imagine how dismal her story must be knowing GH to take a dive this badly.

• Members

I can't believe everyone was calling OLTL's cancellation this year and it is number 1 ABC soap in viewers LMFAO. OLTL is showing signs of survival and also considering it's ABC most profitable soap. OLTL was underbudget three years in a row and GH/AMC are grossly overbudget. Vanessa's return worked so well back in 2002 because her return was very impactful. The setup was great for Brenda's return which brought big ratings all the way through. This go around the magic is gone and I think alot of it has to do with Vanessa was gone only 4 years last go around and this time it was almost 8. Plus the return has been so badly written. GH IMO NEEDS WENDY RICHE back at the helm. I would kill anything to get Wendy back to Port Charles where she so belongs. Also on the AMC front we can all blame Donna/David but when does JHC GET SOME FREAKING BLAME. This is this woman's fourth writing team and its failing. This woman has absolutely NO VISION WHATSOEVER. That's the problem because if u have been here as long as u have and four writing teams have failed under u, it shows its more then the writing team. AMC is in DESPERATE NEED OF A NEW EXECUTIVE PRODUCER WHO WANTS TO PROVIDE A VISION FOR PINE VALLEY AND ELEVATE THEIR WRITING TEAM. So IMO you could have great writers come in and still it wouldn't go to the top without someone to really want to push the show up. The show needs a leader not some PUSHOVER.

Archived