November 15-19, 2010

Toups

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think GH was ever actually at the bottom at time time, just in the lowest rankings.

I guess ABC can't be too unhappy with GH since they highlighted GH's ratings in the press release, and not OLTL or AMC.

I do think there might be a difference between Budig and Marcil. In some ways I have felt like AMC is Frons' baby - it is the one that he moved to the West Coast to keep on the air, it is the one that he made the most blatant changes to himself when he took over instead of just hiring former headwriters to return (as he did with Malone/Griffith at OLTL and Guza at GH). He also gave Budig's then-husband a job. Most recently, he welcomed her back to AMC when she returned after leaving in early 2009 -- there were no roadblocks thrown her way as there were for Eden Reigel. While a lot of this may not have been down to him, I think some of it must have been. I think he just loves Greenlee and Greenlee/Ryan no matter what. Vanessa Marcil, I think her return may have been more about assuming she would increase ratings than about Frons loving her.

I don't even know what you could do to fix GH at this point. I know it won't be fixed, and will just continue to slide down, as all the soaps are, but I think it just needs to be burned down, creatively, and completely rebuilt. If ABC really cared, it would be.

Of course the response is, "OLTL and AMC aren't any better." Even if they aren't, GH was supposed to be ABC's crown jewel, so seeing the show piss away so many opportunities is sad.

• Members

Frons or his wife, who pushes for couples she likes etc.? Frons then being just a puppet in her able hands.

GH does not need to be burnt, it's like a stained, muddy glass: you just need a lot of window cleaning fluid and a magical cloth to clean off the dirt.

• Members

I have mixed feelings about the ratings this week. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to see GH hit last place and AMC still not making a dent in the demos with all the Rylee pimping, on the other, I hate to think AMC has hit the point where it can't rise again, but then again considering that David's return from the dead was centered around Rylee, I'm kind of glad it didn't draw in viewers in droves.

• Members

I don't think it's quite the same. I think he really has let Guza have his own creative vision, and I think that initially he may have let Malone have his vision. AMC from the start of Frons' tenure was very very different. Remember the whole nonsense with Fusion starting, and their silly fantasy sequences?

• Members

Umm... I don't get it. If I do it and pay someone to do the exact same thing is the same. Or minimally different.

I mean, I agree with you and remember fusion, I just think if he's already doing it, it's better to do it himself than make someone do it for him.

• Members

I agree with everything you said. But OLTL BARELY beat AMC and GH, the differences in the ratings are so -small- between all 3 ABC shows. GH always bounces back. AMC showed some life, I am curious if it can get some momentum in the 18-49. OLTL has been incredibly good lately, I don't remember the last time I enjoyed it this much.. OLTL would probably need a solid 1.1 or 1.2 in the 18-49 to be completely safe.

• Members

I am not sure I'd agree with happy. I think it's more about saving face at this point since Vanessa's return has been such a disappointment. I don't think they want people to think they are concerned because really aside from The View and Y&R, no one at CBS, NBC , or ABC really have a whole lot to brag about in terms of ratings. I'd even venture to say Y&R's numbers are not that great. Relative to all the other shows, I guess they are still doing fine but I think we all know these press releases are more for bragging rights and placement relative to another show really doesn't matter.

Archived