Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Ahhh I see. Well I guess we’ll have to count on the Y&R angels that are potentially out there to provide us with episodes from the early days (the first decade). Let’s hope there’s more to come in the future.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by ltm1997

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm notincing how much repitition there is on Y&R. Kay & Sheila both had puzzle schemes to reveal an affair. Lauren & Cricket constantly dealing with psycos. One just struck me. Danny and drugs three times in about 4 years. 

1990- Danny on trial after being framed by David Kimball for cocaine posession.

1993- Danny (during Michael's hearing)  drugged and framed for sleeping with Rebecca. 

1994ish- Danny drugged by Phyliss and led to believe he'd impregnated her. 

He just couldn't catch a break lol. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Also Ashley's stint in the sanitarium is like Leslie's, including similar stock characters for the patients.

Chris (Brooks) and Chris/Cricket (Blair) are both blondes who worked at Legal Aid, were models, and were raped as young women.

Cricket/Scott and Cole/Victoria were siblings who planned to marry.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Exactly. Jill with Phillip, Stuart, and John. 

Plus  Phyliss and Danny was basically Scott and Sheila 2.0. Phycottic dark haired woman drugs man and claims to be prego destroying his current marriage.

Piggybacking off of that, Dr Tim Reid and Phyllis mirriors his relationship with Morgan on B&B. Femme fatale manipulates vulnerable unconfident man using her sexuality.

• Members

This is the last of the Y&R from "the angel" this round.

A wonderful tribute for EB's 25th Anniversary in 2005 featuring Peter Bergman, Jeanne Cooper, Bill Maher, Eileen Davidson, Victoria Rowell (speaking a few lines of German!), Sharon Case, Joshua Morrow, Kay Alden, Jack Smith, Esther Williams, Melody Thomas Scott, Ed Scott, Jesse Ventura, and a hilarious poem from Kristoff St. John.

"LA Diaries" crossover web series with Amber and ATWT's Alison, leading into that awful storyline where Amber married Cane. IMO it tries way too hard to be "edgy" and is kind of cringy, but still good that someone preserved it. Feel free to post in other parts of the board.

• Members

Found 2 more writers  for Y&R  whose names I don't recall seeing before.

Mark Waxman From his bio

After graduating UCLA with a BA and MFA in Cinema (and being captain of the varsity fencing team), I  joined CBS, becoming the youngest network programming executive in the history of broadcasting. After several years of developing prime time comedy and drama series for CBS, I rose to the rank of Vice President of Children’s Programming. During that time, I also wrote scripts for the daytime drama, The Young and the Restless.

Jim Inman From his obit

In Hollywood, Jim had a featured role in Frank Sinatra's "The Detective" (1968) before becoming a playwright and screenwriter. He wrote for "Dark Shadows", "The Young and the Restless", "Dallas", "Romance Theatre" and several "After School Specials", two of which were nominated for Daytime Emmy awards.

A newspaper article mentions them as  writers in July 1980 along with Bell, Alden and Smith.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Seems like Waxman & Inman were (extremely) short-term dialogue writers when the show first expanded to an hour, and it was too much for Kay Alden & Jack Smith.

If I remember right, Waxman and Inman were replaced in the early 1980s by that trio of writers who masqueraded as "Eric L. Roberts".  (Eric Freiwald, Linda Schreiber, and Robert Schaefer) 

Edited by Broderick

• Members

Apparently, Y&R went on location in 79 for the sequences where Kay escaped the burning asylum, wandered through the streets of Genoa City, then finding her way back to the Chancellor mansion. Those scenes were taped in parks, side streets of LA and a Beverly Hills Mansion.

Was that Y&R's first location shooting? Can anyone recall other early location scenes?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

There was the 1st episode with the truck.  I believe some of Leslie's nervous breakdown was done remotely.  

I vividly remember the one you described here, with Kay stumbling back from Fairview Sanitarium in the summer of 1979.  Later that year, there was one where Rose Deville and Vince Holliday dumped Walter Addison's corpse in an alley.  In the summer of 1980, there was the duel where Derek was shot in the butt by Douglas Austin.  (Seems like that one was done at the "fake Chancellor house" where we later saw, about 2003, Jill running through the grass to the house to stop Billy & Mac's wedding.)  There was another one circa 1980 or 1981 with Paul & Nikki nekkid in a gym, when a nekkid basketball team came in during their showers.  I'm sure there were a bunch more.  

Here's Robert Schaefer's obituary:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-television-writer-lived-his-life-as-wholesome-as-2006dec31-story.html

Robert Schaefer attended creative writing class with Eric Freiwald, and they became best friends and writing buddies.  They had an office together in Hollywood.  Linda Schreiber was Eric Freiwald's daughter. 

During the 1980s, the most prolific dialogue writer for Y&R was "Eric L. Roberts" -- an individual who never existed and who vanished into thin air.   After "Eric L. Roberts" "retired from Y&R", Eric Freiwald and Linda Schreiber began individually submitting scripts.  It became pretty clear the "Eric" was Eric Freiwald, the "L." was Linda Schreiber, and the "Roberts" was Robert Schaefer. 

Most of the 1980s episodes were attributed to William J. Bell, Kay Alden, John F. Smith, occasionally Elizabeth Harrower, occasionally Randy Holland, often Sally Sussman, and invariably "Eric L. Roberts".