Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Would  they be prepared to show Paul? 

It would be hard to do a Lauren tribute w/o him.

But maybe they could just do an episode where  it's Lauren's birthday . Micheal/Lauren are at Society and reminisce -flashbacks of their history. Jack and Traci stop by-cue flashbacks of her interactions with them.

So they could touch on some parts of Lauren/Tracey history w/o involving Paul.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think seeing Lauren’s very first appearance would be the rarest scene of them all since it hasn’t been shown in any flashbacks since it first aired. I wonder how they’d tie it in, since in her first episode, she’s actually a friend of Traci’s instead of a bully. She does, however, advise Traci to sleep with Danny if Traci plans on keeping him…so maybe they’d use that part. Y&R does have a habit of uploading small tribute vids on their social media pages and YouTube channel of character anniversaries that are celebrated, like Beth Maitland. They even showed some of her first episode in the tribute episode and in the YouTube mini-tribute. I’d also love more stuff we haven’t seen before. The JoAnna scene you mentioned would be perfect!! I’d like a nice scene of her and her dad in an early appearance of them. They definitely need to show some of her relationships with Paul. And yes, definitely more of her bullying Traci. I doubt they’ll use the sundae scene since it was already used in Beth’s episode. Maybe they’ll use the pool party scene we’ve seen before or something like that. I hope they don’t spend too much time on her and Michael, as the character has so much more history to be featured before she and Michael got together. They definitely need to show some farmhouse scenes with Sheila and Molly. We need Lauren in college and her dorm room scenes, too, with Traci and her friend Betsy. I hope they spend time on her and Danny’s relationship since that was her first love on the show. 

Ohhh, I’d forgotten she won that!! And yes, I’d love to see all those clips!! Her first appearance is my most-wanted Lauren clip. I wanna see how they physically did-up the character. If they made her look prettier than Traci from the get go, or if they went easy on her appearance and made her look more like an every day college girl.

There’s no way they could do a Lauren tribute episode and not show Paul!! I say if they can show Brenda Dickson scenes in the 1984 V&N wedding episode that aired as a classic a few years ago after how it ended between her and the show, then they can definitely feature Paul in a few scenes.

• Members

Does anyone know if the full SOD Awards from January 1989 has surfaced anywhere? That edition was Y&R's best showing in the 1980s, w/ EB winning Lead Actor, JC winning Lead Actress plus receiving the Editor's Award, and Quinn Redeker winning Supporting Actor. Only clips are on YT, but none of them are of the Y&R wins. It's amazing that Y&R got three fan-voted SOD Awards at the height of Days/Santa Barbara dominating them.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Finally had time to watch this. It's really impressive that, during the middle of the writer's strike, the show had 4 different promising stories starting to heat up… ex-wife Lisa clearly not well in the head; George Rawlins’ mysterious problem that he needs Paul to investigate; Leanna pumping vulnerable Nikki for dirt; and Jessica’s health failing.

The only dud scene, similar to the recent July ’84 ep we saw, is Danny’s blonde love interest gazing adoringly on while he sings.  Though I’m very curious to see the “Homeless Concert” someday, and whether Nikki took Danny up on his invite to attend, or if the writers had moved on from that plot.

One thing confused me – it appeared that Leanna and Jack were about to have sex. But I thought she was a “man-hater” who only thawed for Victor Newman due to his TGVN virility. Maybe Leanna and Jack apparently hooking up was a “writer’s strike” mistake?

• Members

@yrfan1983 Looking back at 1988, it was an off year. There was the writer's strike, Cricket eating the show, MTS on pregnancy leave at the end of the year, ED departure w/o a proper exit story, Cassandra being elevated to front-burner lead.

I get that the Victor/Leanna marriage was to deflect attention away from the Ruthless book that detailed Ashley's emotional breakdown, but I never really could figure out why Victor was intrigued by Leanna in the first place.

• Members

The aftermath of OJ was not a good time for Y&R. Fall 1994 to Spring 1996 Nick and Sharon ate the show. Fall 1996 through the first half of 1997 none of the storylines really worked. While all this was going down, Reilly's Days was blowing up and nearly beat Y&R in June 1997.

• Members

Those "separate orbits" were REALLY noticeable back in early 1980s to mid 1980s.  Although Beth Maitland is actually a year or so older than Eileen Davidson, Bill Bell really made an effort to keep Eileen's Ashley segregated from those "youth storylines" involving Traci, Lauren, Danny, Amy, Cricket, Brad, etal.  We would frequently see Ashley counseling Traci at home, or we'd see Ashley applauding Cricket's incredibly superb modeling skills as Miss Junior Jabot, or we'd see Ashley telling Jack to be nicer to Brad at work, but socially -- just no.  Ashley and Jack were in the "grown folks" storylines, and Traci existed in a whole different little world.  

• Members

@Broderick When the Abbott daughters were introduced, Ashley was a college graduate (so close to ED's own age, 23 in 1982) and Traci was a high school graduate (BM was 24 in 1982 but playing 18). Their initial storylines had Ashley starting her career at Jabot and Traci starting college, so it makes sense that their social lives would be separate.