Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Paul witnessed Mary seeing "Jim" for the first time and fainting. When Mary came to, Carl told her about his amnesia and Ruthie. Mary was convinced that despite his love for Ruthie, her love could bring back the past, and she and Carl would be happy together again, so told Charlie the wedding was off. But try as she might, Mary could never bring back Carl's memory of them, and he later returned to Norfolk and Ruthie, and no doubt were married as planned. Charlie apparently never forgave Mary, and she was again left with her only pastime-meddling in Paul's life.

• Members

April 1997 with a week full of the eps  is up in the Vault, boy with the 4/11/97 it certainly is attack of recasts with Sarah Aldrich, Sandra Nelson, and Sherri Shattuck all being heavily featured in the episode. Of the three Nelson is by far and beyond the best of course; Sarah Aldrich is dreadful in her scenes with Ryan, while Ashley is the stuck in the depths of hell with a triangle between her, Kurt, and Hope developing. 

Hopefully the rest of the week gets better lol.

• Members

The funny thing was it did create up a bit of a stir on the Internet at the time from what I remember amongst older fans, even so far as to creating a Mandela effect for some older viewers as a few were quite sure that they *did* remember the Carl disappearance storyline.  With Y&R not being one to do retcons at that point or definitely felt out of place, and the story wasn’t that great. I’ll always remember Leslie Bevis for her hilarious Star Trek parody character in the movie Spaceballs more than anything else.

• Members

I didn't realize that it wasn't until 75 the Janice/Leslie burst into song but this news item verifies it.

As the Tube Turns: Janice Lynde will be unveiling her vocal talents on the Feb. 24 installment of CBS's "The Young and Restless" singing a love song during a scene in which she marries her fiance, Brad (as played by Tom Hallick). Janice, best known to viewers of the show as the prudish Leslie Brooks, has been working for months with voice coach composer Phil Moore in preparation for her big day .

• Members

I rewatched the scenes just now. Back when they first aired, I remember, angrily, thinking how this felt less like character development for Paul and more like a shock-and-awe SL for Y&R, i.e.: Emmy bait. I was also watching GH at the time which was a Guza-penned celebration of angry mobsters and the doormats who love them. I did wonder if all the soaps -- certainly the ABC soaps, but also maybe some of the CBS soaps -- wanted to jump on the GH bandwagon and portray their male characters as tough guys who 'take matters into their own hands' on the regular. As a result, I hated Y&R's SL twist and I wasn't the only one. The outcry was such that Y&R had to swerve, and the show sort of pretended it didn't happen for a long time. I'm not sure but I feel like Paul and Christine went on the backburner/recurring from here on in.

Now when I rewatch it? It is still coarse and violent and shocking in every way. However, I feel like it attempts to tackle the issue of 'grey-area rape.' IMO rape is rape, but how many instances do we hear or know about rape occurring in the home, the issue of consent being blurred, the idea that women might question whether it is 'really rape' if it is that nice guy you love? This debate is still being had, and I remember the debate raging on Y&R's official site which published viewers' e-mailed reactions to the show.

So yeah... I still find it uncomfortable and the genesis of the story a little suspect, but I also appreciate what Y&R might have been trying to trigger as a conversation. And I give kudos to LLB for playing this unambiguously.

• Members

It's really funny when Nina jokes about Phillip calling Katie for a date, cause he actually did end up dating Chloe and Nina hated that. Meanwhile Abby won't be born for almost another 10 years but now they're all kind of the same age!

It's like the JT becoming an abuser storyline. Does a new writer have the right to have a character do something evil that is totally out of character for them after the character has been established for many years? At least they gave JT a tumor as an excuse. I can't help but still like the Paul from the 80s and 90s. 

I was thinking it felt like an ABC show too. What I had forgotten is that he's mad at her for dating Michael - another man who tried to rape her (and came really close, like he was literally on top of her and PAUL was the one who saved her). So she is being raped by a man who is upset she wants to be with a scumbag who tried to rape her... that was another horrible story. Christine forgiving Michael was one thing but having her go into practice with him was a huge stretch, and then I thought they'd never go there with them having a romantic relationship.

• Members

I think the show flirted with a possible Christine & Michael pairing because CLB became a breakout fan fave (I admit, I was a fan too, I thought CLB and his character did great during those later Bell years) and because CLB and LLB had natural chemistry together. But I also agree with you that a romantic relationship was a couple bridges too far. We can talk eventual redemption of a character, or even Christine accepting that Michael might be repentant for hiding in her walls with the intent to rape and kill her. (A big ask). Joining his practice was a wrong move, but I also recognise that soap mores back then were very different, and rape was often used and twisted for story in a way that would not fly today.

• Members

You forgot Jennifer Gareis in your recast list.

The rest of the spring doesn't get better LOL. First half of 1997 was a lull and Y&R almost lost #1 to Reilly's Days in late June. Things pick up during the second half of 1997 with Malcolm and Olivia wedding, a drunk Nick unknowingly sleeps with Grace, Daniel's paternity reveal leading to Danny and Phyllis divorce and custody battle, Victor and Diane wedding, arrival of Veronica, Heather Tom returns as Victoria and Victoria catches Cole with Ashley, Phyllis and Michael become friends with benefits. I think that covers the main storylines.