Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Is anybody actively downloading/archiving the clips being uploaded to the Y R YouTube Channel?

So far I've been doing it and I've uploaded January and February 2003 to the Vault. Quite a bit of my files have had downloading issues/corruption issues and I've already lost a few of the episodes from March and April and can't re-download them since YouTube has blocked them, rats!

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

@BoldRestless Haha yeah Doug seems like a jokester. 

So I have started adding to the tumblr blog. But I started with Sep 82 and am currently up to Jan 83. I have added all the columns from Jon-Michael Reed that I could find and also Lynda Hirsch. As well as recaps from both. Not to worry I will get to the post March stuff very soon, as in tonight or tomorrow.

Just be aware if reading Lynda's recaps I am pretty sure they go from Wed-Tue or Thu-Wed. They are definitely not Mon-Fri. However there are some plot points JMR doesn't mention, so they are worth the read.

It was a lot tougher finding JMR's columns than I thought it would be. Both Lynda and Jon are syndicated and many papers picked up and dropped their columns without notice. They would often be edited down or merged and sometimes just not appear or they would run columns that were a month old. I did my best to find the most complete and also get them all in the right order. Hopefully this adds to everyones soap knowledge.

I can get columns from JMR's first in June 1976 (Lynda started Oct 76) but I might make a 70's themed soap blog for that. As I still have all those 70's soap mags to get scanned too. 

Just remember you can click on the year hash tags and put them in chrono order too if you want

Anyway enjoy. I will be uploading a bunch over the next few hours until I get to May 83. Then from Mondayish I will probably just do one month per day or something.

https://thesoapsofyesterday-blog-blog.tumblr.com

ETA: LOL, Just as I get to March 21, 1983 synopsis Tumblr tells me I have reached my post limit for the day. Sorry everyone. Hopefully there is other stuff you can enjoy or just wait 24 hrs. 

Edited by will81

• Members

All good. Glad to share what I have access to, so that we all have it. I am just going to keep it going. Hopefully just get through the entirety of the 70's, 80's and 90's at some point. Not too interested in soaps post 2002, so won't be much from that point on. If I ever find any decent stuff from the 60's I will post that as well in the future.

• Members

Thanks @will81I look forward to digging into those articles!

More from the Y&R Anonymous Angel! Also added to the vault.

6/29/89 (different version already in vault)

6/30/89 partial (full episode already in vault)

9/5/89

9/6/89 partial clip

11/22/89 second half

11/28/89 partial

12/29/89 (already shared on New Year's playlist)

• Members

Hi all

So I have started putting up the Jon-Michael Reed synopsis from Mar 21 1983 onwards. Just to make it easier I have tagged them as jmrrecaps1983. This tag will show only Jon-Michael Reed's recaps starting Mar 21, 1983. For those that only want to see them. Then if you want, just go to the URL and type   /chrono   and you can have them in order

• Members

I am soooo loving these recaps! Thank you so much for all your hard work finding and posting them! It’s so very appreciated!

Please register in order to view this content

I have my notifications set on there so every time there’s new stuff, it lets me know when it’s posted! It’s very nice to wake up to! Can’t wait for the rest!

Edited by ltm1997

• Members

I have uploaded the 2000-2004 Playlists from the Y R YouTube Channel to the Vault!

Some of the 2003 episodes are missing as there were corruption issues while I downloaded it, and have since been blocked on YouTube. I'm putting my focus on those playlists as they get updated. Hopefully we will get more of 2001 and 2002. 2003 looks very promising so far.

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

Omg @will81 I am LIVING for your blog and eating it up! Thank you so much! I’ve read through 1982 so far…

Seems like a rough transition year for the soap opera world… Texas and the Doctors cancelled… Search for Tomorrow on life support (surprised it lasted til ’86)… Guiding Light firing Doug Marland (why…?) and then firing replacement Pat Falken Smith two months later!!

The columnists were not too pleased with YR, said it was in an “awkward phase” due to storytelling shifts. They were displeased with the firing of the Lawrence family - said that as soon as the viewer starts to have affection for a character, they might disappear. They felt that Robert and Leslie were a “magic couple”.  

They also felt that the Stevens family was written off before they’d had a proper chance, and they lament the lack of a blue-collar working-class family in Genoa City.

Other YR items of note:

• They described Mamie/Marguerite Johnson as “recently hired” so that’s another fact confirming she did indeed debut in ’82, not ’80 as some sources say
  • Brian Kerwin (Greg #2) was interviewed. It was said he was on the show for only “40 days”. He mostly worked with Juliana McCarthy and loved her. He kept in touch after with David Hasselfhoff. He started to be friendly with Beau K but then Beau ghosted him.
  • Deborah Adair volunteered at the rape crisis center at Cedars Sinai hospital in LA… love that…
  • Beth Maitland was a casting director before being cast as Traci. Upon her debut, she wore padding to appear heavier as Traci

Thank you for preserving those treasures @ChickenNuggetz92 !