Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks for responding! This is sad as it seems they had set up so much and lost steam fast. Outside of the cold medicine fiasco do you think it would have been a good idea to do Malcolm/Dru and Neil/Olivia since they didn't invest in any other characters. I guess they only tried with Dr. Stephanie Simmons and Keesha but Stephanie went no where from what I see (I'm trying to watch more 90s but still in the early 90s)

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If they were sticking to the unfortunate segregated writing choices (and considering the amount of hate mail and death threats that occurred when they tried to pair Neil with a white woman, I guess they had their reasons to do so), then this probably would have made more sense. I would have considered pairing Olivia with someone else after Nathan died, not Malcolm or Neil. The character was a dud, but I wonder how a relationship with Kurt Costner could have gone. There would have been tension with Ashley, I'm sure Dru would have been distrustful of him, he'd lost his wife and child (I think...) so he could have bonded with Olivia and Nate, etc.

• Members

Working on getting more of my 80s stuff online.  Here's the first half of what I have from 1988. The quality isn't the greatest.

January 13, 1988

It's blocked because it has a Fleetwood Mac song, so it's on archive: 

https://archive.org/details/yr-1988-01-13

February 11, 1988

March 2, 1988

April 4, 1988

May 10, 1988

May 25, 1988

June 1, 1988

• Members

These are amazing. Thanks so much for these. 1988 would have to be one of the best years for Y&R. So much unfolding in just those episodes you posted:

• Nina giving birth to Phillip’s baby;
  • Cricket being chased by THREE men at once (Phillip, Danny and Scott);
  • Leanna’s Ruthless storyline starting to take shape, and her interactions with Steven, Victor and Jack;
  • The introduction of George Rawlins, with Paul being called upon for his services;
  • Nikki finding out she’s pregnant with Nicholas;
  • Paul digging into Brad’s past (at the request of Jack), and the subsequent reveal of Lisa (who would later kidnap him and lock him in a cage);
  • Jessica Blair’s introduction and courtship with John Abbott.

There is a reason why Y&R well and truly claimed the #1 spot that year, and these episodes just demonstrate that. Looking forward to even more stuff from that year.

• Members

When watching the triad video of Jill... seeing Brenda Dickson, Deborah Adair, and Jess Walton playing Jill.... shows that it isn't always the writing.. but how the actor reads the words that determine the direction of a character.

Even when DA was trying to camp it up, she still played a softer Jill... while Brenda was almost cold in her delivery.. while Jess had a combo of the camp of Brenda.. with a fiery undertone.  

Same with seeing the three Ashley's... Eileen was harsh on the outside/fragile on the inside.. Shari was just plain hard/cold... and Brenda was soft on the outside/made of steel on the inside (Brenda was my fav Ashley).

• Members

Well said! Each actress brought so many subtle nuances to the role of Jill (Bond Gideon also). Through every recast the DNA of Jill has remained, watching the different portrayal I never felt like Jill was out of character merely evolving over time. That continuity is a testament to Bell's writing and their strong performances. 

Contrast that with a character like Billy or Adam where it seems like each new actor is literally portraying a different person.

(I also loved Brenda's version of Ashley 

Please register in order to view this content

)