Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Thanks for the vid @will81. That was so weird seeing those scenes together. And one thing that surprised me - David Kimble! I didn’t realise Michael Corbett had started that early on Y&R (I thought that was more 1989). What was he doing for the first couple of years before Phillip died and then he swooped in on Nina?

Edited by OzFrog

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He started Jan/Feb 1987. He was really just Jill's assistant, doing her bidding. Then he made a move on her, but it didn't go well. I think they did date for a bit before she tried to get back together with Michael Crawford. That was when David began working for Jack to try to oust Jill from Jabot by spying for him. 

• Members

I haven't yet. But I see they have so much of what we talk about here...the first signs of Jack and Jill, the Jack and Jill sleep together scenes, John seeing the blackmail pictures, Katherine and Jill fighting over Phil 3. I just watched the scenes of Jill finding out that Phillip moved in with Katherine...and WOW.

This is my first detailed exposure to Brenda Dickson's Jill. And that scene when Phillip walks into the mansion and yells for Katherine that he was home...the look she had (and Jeanne Cooper) had was EVERYTHING. They have excellent hate chemistry and Brenda's look looked diva, beautiful, fierce, and icy, and still had the hurt in her eyes. Easily my favorite scene of hers so far. 

Edited by Taoboi

• Members

You nailed the description.

What I noticed in the John/Jill/Jack/Kay storyline is that BD was having a blast. She could not help but smile the whole time and it worked really well because it looked like Jill was unfazed at Kay's threats or Jack's warnings.

She really played the character as if Jill could not care less, except when it came to Phillip - she showed her more vulnerable side every time Phillip was mentioned. Even the fact that BD's portrayal became more icy and unchecked over time I think it worked with the character's evolution, she HAD to grow colder and harder with the things that happened to her.

• Members

Gotta mention Deborah here as she played out the original Jill/John story - intro of the Abbotts and carried Jill successfully  in that direction.

Even the glimpse we have seen of Bond impressed me - testament to the character of Jill that the recasts over almost 50 years  have kept her alive.

• Members

Deborah, especially, had to go through the rough 80 - 82 period too and continued to keep Jill in the mix when she could have been scrapped like so many others. In fact just before Deborah left she had negotiated a big contract with a promise for some juicy storylines. They all seemed to go to Brenda though.

• Members

Two observations:

1) Jess Walton did a good job incorporating some of Brenda Dickson's mannerisms or demeanor, so that the transition wasn't too jarring for viewers.

2) The fact that Deborah Adair would return to her former role as a (more-or-less) temp speaks very well for her.  I doubt another actor would have done the same under similar circumstances.

• Members

Thank you @ltm1997 . Good to see this again. I can't remember if Deborah ever had such long hair when she was in the role before. It's interesting to see her trying to play "up" compared to how she played Jill in the other episodes we've seen. I guess that's due to how much campier the character had become since her departure. 

• Members

Jess really took ownership right away, more than would be typical for a temp recast. How exactly did this work? I saw the E True Hollywood Story years ago, but that was more from Brenda's POV and I don't really remember the details. Did they carry on with casting calls for a permanent Jill while Brenda was still on contract? And was Jess told this was a temporary recast but most likely would become a contract role?