Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

branden densen has been posting great y&r clips mostly from around 2001, centering Diane Jenkins.

Its great to see Alex Donnely in full villainess mode. Hoping there are more full 2001 episodes out there somwhere especially with Alex & Susan's Diane. Cashcrateworks had about two 2001 episodes that were taken down. Hopefully Brandon heeds my advice in the comments to disguise his video titles before cbs/sony reaks their usual havoc.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCDnuQ5ekHu53D0uAtiZiKaQ

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I have a few treats to share!

January 31, 1986

Thank you to @ChickenNuggetz92 for helping do an audio swap on this.

October 10, 1995

Unfortunately I don't have October 11.  Two episodes were aired on October 12, 1995 to catch up due to preemptions:

Episode 1

Episode 2

October 13, 1995

October 16, 1995

• Members

Remember when Michelle Stafford was subtle and chilling? She was absolutely fantastic. 

And wow (almost) everyone was beautiful. The wonderful lighting helped, of course. But it was a sort of mythic, untouchable beauty. Diana Barton was a stunner in such an Old School Hollywood, film noir way. And it must be said that Peter Bergman was drop-dead gorgeous.

• Members

Glad I could help, @BoldRestless!

On a side note, I'm not sure if this counts as "old" per se, but since many of us are mourning the firing of Gina Tognoni from the role of Phyllis, I thought it would be in good taste to commemorate her work by posting one of my favourite scenes from her run as Phyllis.

I f-loved GT's chemistry with Sharon Case. Kind of makes me wonder how Michelle Stafford would play off these scenes.

• Members

Also quickly threw together a comparison clip of Sharon and Phyllis' stairwell confrontation comparing Michelle Stafford and Gina Tognoni. I will have to cut Gina some slack since she didn't have the experience of taping scenes leading to the buildup, but she did pretty well for starting raw.

Best experienced with a set of headphones or earbuds.

• Members

@BoldRestless thank you for those classic episodes. I haven't watched 1995 as of yet, as I already sat through that stuff at the time and have no great need to look back at present, but the 1986 episode was a wonderful watch. Other than the ridiculous spectacle of Lauren spelling out her entire plan so that Shawn would learn the truth and plot her demise, the entire episode was absolutely flawless - you can see why Y&R was barreling toward #1. The scenes with Nikki and Casey and Nikki reading to Victoria were the standouts. Melody Thomas Scott at her best. Nikki at her insecure worst, but really, she was right - could you blame her? Roberta Leighton and Melody are so perfect as sisters I still can't believe they weren't originally cast together. 

Beyond the usual fond looks at the PI office (I much prefer that place to where Paul would end up by the end of the decade), and the fond looks at the always gorgeous Andy, the high point of those scenes was Shawn alone in his apartment. The music cues, and the terrifying voice over the phone - all of this could have been from a high quality horror film of this era. At first I wondered if he was just hallucinating the whole conversation.

I'd seen the bits with Jill before but they were still very good. Brenda very contained here. I still don't know what was supposed to be attractive about Sven. 

• Members

Might be in the  minority here, but are there any classic viewers who preferred Michelle Stafford over Gina T? Much like I cannot accept Amelia H as Victoria, Gina just dosen't click with me as Phyliss (though she is far more compotent than Amelia). Even if Michelle S has acting quirks, its hard to imagin anyone else playing that role. If anyone had to play Phyliss again, Sanda Nelson was very solid in the late 90s.

SB: Its intresting to see just how different the show is between the '97 and '04 episodes. By 2004 it seems the show was deglamorized compared to 97, and opted for less ornate and "artistic" camera movement/directing that made the show IT in the 90s. Yet in the 2001 clips the show still has that 90s spark compared to just 3 years later. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I loved MS up until around 2005, when it seemed like she gave up and stopped trying to add nuance to her work. She had a great run in the 90’s and early 00’s. Once the tics, her alleged storyline demands, and poor writing started to take over, I was ready for her to go. Gina seemed like a breath of fresh air because she was very committed to playing the material no matter how terrible it could be. She never tried to phone it in like MS did later in her last stint.