Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sandra Nelson had a sinister undertone when playing Phyllis.. where I could buy her running down Christine/Paul and hiring goons to beat up Michael Baldwin (back when they were involved romantically).  She had a quiet intensity that I thought worked for the character of Phyllis in the late 90s... She was less needy and neurotic.. and more ruthless/evil.  Plus, her Phyllis had loads of chemistry with Jack... that I never saw between Michelle Stafford's Phyllis.

GT's Phyllis was an even combination of both Stafford's Phyllis and Nelson's Phyllis.  She was more controlled with rage seething underneath like Nelson's Phyllis.. but could do the quirky stuff that Stafford's Phyllis had.

• Members

MTS' facial expression when she finds out Ashley helped pick the horse was priceless. And Y&R used to be filled with little moments like that in every episode. I've always liked Victor and Ashley's relationship, but seriously - who collaborates with their mistress to buy a gift for their young child? I love the way Bill Bell played it, with the affair being an open secret. So much better than having everyone look dumb as if they never had a clue. This is psychological drama and it's so much more interesting. I can just imagine how cringey this would be today, with two different factions of "Niktor" and "Vashley" fans battling out who was Victor's twue wuv. Y&R had romance, of course, but the relationships weren't so much about making you swoon (a la Calgon take me away) as the way those relationships fit into the canvas, and the reactions of the various characters to them. Nikki going and telling her daughter that story about the wicked witch was terrible parenting, but you couldn't help but feel for her, and it demonstrated how delusional she was thinking that if you just take Ashley out of the equation there's no problem with the marriage. Other than her hair and the way she's dressed, this could have been any wife in America trying to work out her feelings.

I was very impressed with Shawn's acting. I don't know a lot about this storyline - who was this Tamara woman and what was the deal with Turk?  

Unpopular opinion, but I greatly, greatly preferred MS and never liked GT. I certainly concede that MS was overacting by the end and I was very much over her... I just never thought GT did any better. I just think of her as always snarling and angry. I think this is represented well in the clip @ChickenNuggetz92 posted.There's no lightness to her character, it's one note.  Sandra Nelson was much better than GT.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Nelson's exit was pretty abrupt. Sure the focus shifted to other characters around that like Ashley with Eileen Davidson's return, but Phyllis still had spark due the lovely Sandra Nelson. 

They were typical minor characters created by Bill Bell. On other shows they would have been under fives, at Y&R they got quite a lot to do even though they were mostly talk-tos. Tamra was Lauren's psychic (go figure - it was the 80s!)  and Turk was Shawn's henchman.

If you want to read more about the 1986 time frame in Genoa City, there are quite a lot recaps available:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069658/episodes?year=1986

• Members

What killed me about the 1986 episode (which I thoroughly enjoyed) was that Bill Bell seemed to continuously toy with the idea of creating some kind of love triangle among Paul, Faren, and Andy.   (Paul was always running to the Rendevous and pouring out his heart to Faren, who was supposed to be Andy's girlfriend. In this episode, he went to the Rendevous to whine to Faren about ending his marriage to Lauren Fenmore.)   It was pretty clear that Paul's BEST chemistry was with Stephanie E. Williams, but I guess you just couldn't go there in 1986.     

• Members

I too think Sandra Nelson portrayed a deliciously evil Phyllis. With all this SN talk, here's one of the gems I grabbed from YouTube back in the day. Gotta love her screaming through the elevator at the end LOL.

I personally wouldn't have minded Michelle Stafford back in the role of Phyllis, my biggest problem was how it played out. Gina didn't deserve to be pushed out by an actress that left their originating role twice and the whole debacle just left a sour taste in my mouth (although I blame Anthony Morina for that, not MS).

I, too was exhausted by MS's portrayal as Phyllis by the end of her run because by that point, all I feel I got out of Phyllis was coming off as obnoxious and smug - not qualities I necessarily like to see in a character all the time. I will say that when challenged and when the writing warrants it, Michelle Stafford can be extremely versatile as an actress. I was watching a few clips of the short-lived Aaron Spelling primetime soap Pacific Palisades (the role that caused MS to leave Y&R the first time). There she plays a good-head-on-shoulders type character and is incredibly refreshing to see compared to her Daytime roles.

• Members

Its striking to think of Brenda Epperson and Eileen Davison's Ashley as the same charachter. As Im sure someone said before I couldn't imagine Brenda Epperson's version fighting with Victoria over cole or involved in the sperm fiasco.  Brenda's bersion was nice, calm, classy and well put together (aside from the Blade/Rick aftermath).

Eileen's was more---for lack ofa better term---posessive of that "vixen like " quality. Overall, loved both actreses in the role. SB: Brenda was and still is STUNNING. Eileen more so after her 1999 return

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Hello does anyone have any Y&R Episodes Playlists from 2003-2009 

Thank u for uploading those ones do u happen to have any Y&R episodes from 2003-2004 the rest of 2006 through 2009 an any from March 8th 2010 through March 26th 2010 and May 12th through June 4th 2010