Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

The thing about Don Diamont is that he was a chemistry machine. He had from good to major chemistry with all his leading ladies (Traci, Lauren, Nikki, Diane, Ashley, Victoria and more). It's no surprise he managed to drag some life out of that walking bag of bones that is Heinle. It still hurts that they never got to really have the Heather Tom/Don Diamont pairing though. Those two were unbeatable.

As for Brad, he's always been the kind of character that was more interesting and MUCH better portrayed than most ever give him credit for. Much like Victor, one of his main characteristics (arrogance) is what people remember him for but he was always capable of great kindness and sweetness (again, like Victor).

:lol: 

Edited by YRBB

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Deborah came on around July 1980. So Bond's Jill was around from Feb 4th till June/July. She was also the one who dated Steve Williams, Paul's never seen brother (have they even mentioned him since he left in 1981)

Brenda came back either Sep 2nd or Sep 5th 1983. One of her first scenes is the one with her and Dina in the Abbott house with Jill in the red dress. Her actual first scene is on YT (about 2 seconds of it, lol) I have added below, it is actually more about Paul/Cindy and her being shot, but has Brenda's return right at the tail end.

• Members

Oh sorry, I meant to say the week of Feb 4th, not sure it was actually Feb 4th. Brenda's was definitely Feb 1st 1980 which was confirmed in soap press when she left, and Jill appeared the next week, so Bond was on almost straight away. Not 100% about Brenda's return date, but with the snippet above and synopsis I have read I have narrowed it down to Sep 2nd or Sep 5th.

I can say definitely Dickson's last air date was Jun 23rd 1987. So the turn over was a bit mixed up. Brenda had taped ahead her shows from Monday (Jun 22nd) and Tuesday (Jun 23rd) but hadn't taped her scenes for Jun 19th. Because she was fired before doing that show Jess came on and subbed for her on that date and then took over officially from June 24th, although technically once Jess took on the role Brenda never returned.

Oh cool, thanks. I wonder if Bell ever thought of bringing all Paul's family back. I think there were rumors of Patty returning in the 90's. Maybe he might have given April's story to Patty.

• Members

Thanks for all the info about Jill everyone! I always enjoy knowing airdates for character's first and last episodes....

Yeah Brenda taped her final scenes as Jill the first time January 18, 1980 so I guess since it was 2 weeks ahead of filming that would lead to February 1, being her last airdate......(was that the scene from the clips I just posted of Stuart kicking her out of his house?) there doesn't seem to be a first airdate for her back in 1973 as she wasn't in the first episode.....I'm assuming she first aired sometime during that first week?

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

It's always interesting to get info on the first airdates for actors. I remember reading years ago that Melody Thomas Scotts first airdate as Nikki was February 16, 1979. So I wonder when Erica Hope last aired ?

Kay Alden's interview with the Archive Of American Television she said something about the actress they first hired for Nikki didn't bother to show up for work one day. I don't know if she was referring to Erica or if they had hired someone before her that didn't make it to air. I have also read stories of how Bill Bell wasn't happy with Erica and she would leak storyline info to the soap press. I think Melody was being considered to play Ben's wife on The Waltons, but was asked to audition for Y&R. I saw Melody's screen test with Beau Kayzer (Brock). Ed Scott said he knew she was going to be their Nikki.

• Members

These 12-18-97 closing credits feature Miguel, an open shirted Cole, a shirtless Ryan(yes!), Gordon Thomson in an unmemorable guest stint he did, and Tricia in an outfit that would be reused for her '98-99 opening credits:

And here's a 1996 promo that incorporated the opening credits into for each character profile. Never knew Victoria's dress was that short until this: 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

While I've got it on my mind, what was the point of Nina's miscarriage with Ryan? I know it was a touching story(the balloons, Ryan's bond with young Phillip IV/Chance) and was well received but what the heck was the point? Even back then I felt it was so very unnecessary. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Oh I have those episodes! did you get to see them?

I feel like during that time, they didn't really know what to do with Ryan and Nina as a couple (as well as Ryan's occasional butting his head into Victoria's lovelife) so they just did some random story arcs......I guess maybe they felt it would give Tricia some good emotional material or something. (and she did kill all those scenes.....I wish I had the episodes where she tells Ryan and they cry together) they also toyed on and off about Nina finding her real father and even hinted that when Jed Sanders first came on he was to be Nina's father but they dropped and changed the story with him getting involved with Nikki and Jill.....

i still sometimes think if they should have let Nikki and Jack's child live....my inner paranoia can't help but wonder sometimes if Braeden demanded to Bell not to have Jack father Nikki's child (as she did miscarry their first one when she fell off the horse) but it's stupid to think as Bell always had the last say....unlike now...

• Members

No the Stuart scenes were from 1979, she then went on to marry Derek, only to have Kay "return from the dead" and kick her out of the house on their honeymoon night. That was at the end of 1979 though, so not too long before she left. I have never seen her last scenes but from what I can tell it wasn't anything major. The Derek/Jill/Kay story had pretty much wrapped up, or at least Jill's involvement.

The last little part of it had Brock hire a private investigator to spy on Jill and Derek, he recorded a conversation they had and gave the tape to Kay. Kay showed the tape to Derek and wanting to prove she trusted him she refused to listen to it and put it in a safe. Derek didn't trust her and hired a cat burglar (one Douglas Austin, lol) to swipe it, he then made a fake tape with Derek telling Jill he was devoted to Kay and didn't want to see her (Jill) anymore. Just as Derek had suspected Kay held a party and played the tape (the switched one) and he managed to con Kay a little longer. This was basically the end of Brenda's run.

Edited by will81

• Members

haha this might be depressing to watch when I get to it, knowing that we are near the last we saw of THE Sheila....:( lord I can't believe it's really been 10 years already....

Thanks for the info! :) It would be so nice to see all those scenes after hearing most of the audio clips from that story, including the famous scene where Kay scares the $%$^ out of Jill and she screams her head off...LOL

Those scenes with the tape sound like fun though.

• Members

It's certainly depressing. But I'm always curious as to what they had in store for Kimberlin after this storyline before Jack Smith and Kay Alden were out and Kimberlin had her accident. She was reportedly meant to be around for a few more years yet wasn't she? LML's handling of the character almost seemed like she couldn't get rid of Sheila fast enough.

• Members

If I knew that LML was gonna kill her with the whole Pheila  thing, I think it would've just been best she went back to B&B at that time.....again not that much would have come out of it anyways.....Brad Bell could never write for complex female characters like Sally, Sheila etc....