Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I actually didn't understand the multiple Daniel recasts either and it's funny that the first Daniel has been far more successful than Graz who seemed to do more outside work while on Y&R since leaving it. Unfortunately it wasn't until 2008 when Danny came back for the show's 35th anniversary and made up with Daniel that I finally realized how stupid that plot-line had been in hindsight.  Still I'll admit I loved Stafford and Phyllis from her return until Phick happened.

There was a weird line back in 2010 when Nikki was in rehab and Victor blasted her for her relations with Deacon whom Victor called "scum just like Brad Carlton, Bobby Marsino and David Chow!" I just never understood why Victor felt compelled to name Bobby Marsino of all people to that list. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The only reason Daniel was SORASed was to throw Danny under the bus. Danny goes from fighting hard to keep his son to being a deadbeat dad? Then Cricket, Danny & Gina are made villains because they DIDN'T trash Giggly to her son?

That's cup there with Paul & Jack whining about being wanting to be parents but not being fathers to the two children they both already had.

Braeden was NOT happy about John Enos & MTS chemistry. He was the first pairing she had that was a real threat to Niktor. I'm surprised they never threw Brittany at Grambo to make it a love quad. It's not like Bobby & Brittany had much else to do until they were fired the next year.

Victor really did love Diane (a fact which too often gets lost in the Niktor saga). She was different than any of Victor's other wives because she was an accomplished career woman who didn't apologize for her ambition which attracted Victor.

Unfortunately Diane (and Ashley) went under the bus for Niktor.

Braeden & Donnelly had a few really well written scenes after Nikki recovered where Victor sincerely tried to make amends with Diane but she was still hoping they would reconcile (which was a large part of her motivation during The Great Spermcapades).

Braeden had a fairly sweet scene with Susan Walters Diane when he went on his apology tour before marrying Nikki (for the third time) but it didn't go anywhere.

Edited by DeeeDee

• Members

I don't know much about Damon but he's one of those characters that probably was suppose to do more, but ended up getting wasted as usual.....I know he worked at Jabot, and had brief flings or whatever with HT Victoria and Phyllis, but that's about all I know.

It's still  funny that Linden Ashby who played Cameron has a major supporting role on one of my favorite shows, "Teen Wolf" on MTV...........I have always thought for some weird reason the last couple years that several actors on that show, might have been good SORAised characters for the missing children on campus...

It's really sad all those side characters were banished and never to be seen again as I think it would still be possible to tie them all to the canvas......especially Rafe being related to John Silva...maybe even Miguel...

• Members

Is it terrible that I'm secretly rooting for Sheila and Tom? Their plan to kidnap Lauren and hold her for ransom so they can escape to a tropical island has me at the edge of my seat. I love Lauren and all but I'll hate to see Sheila go down because she is so much better on top and scheming!

Gloria clashing with Joanna was funny! When was the last time Joanna has showed her face in Genoa city since then? Has she come back at all? Even when Lauren found out she was related to Jill? I can't really remember.

• Members

I "enjoy" 2005 insofar as it's not as horrific as what followed in 2006 and beyond. They still retain a lot of the easily recognizable trademarks of Y&R (the music, sets, lighting, directing, even the tone and style of acting). Nevertheless, the destruction is there and the show is rotting. I would still prefer it over anything that followed, but that doesn't say much. It was Y&R in the most surface of ways. 2004 and 2005 are the reasons why Y&R was destroyed but, like I said, still better (and more interesting) to watch. I'd never dream of rewatching an LML episode. Ever.

(That being said, as always, my thanks for the 2005 episodes, and anything else! YouTubing soaps ain't easy). 

• Members

It was a really dumb plotline that in his victory lap over Phyllis Danny decided to pursue Christine again to woo her away from Paul when they had already been happily married for two years. I guess that's why they ended up letting Damien go and writing Danny out due to lack of story line. 

• Members

It's all good, I'm just glad some are enjoying watching them again :)

Oh, I agree about LML whole-heartedly. While I despise MAB for whatever the f*ck her watered-down version of Y&R was, I'm strangely finding her era a lot more tolerable than I did the first time around. It's still bad, but LML on the other hand...I struggle to get through so much as ten minutes of any of her episodes. 

• Members

Dumb is the word for it, and nothing was dumber than Christine's hour-long dick tour that must seriously be one of the worst things from classic Y&R ever. It was unbearable, despite the wealth of flashbacks.

Danny had just run his course. He always felt like late 80s/early 90s, anyway, and by 1998 he was done. They would have either had to create him a whole other arc (which I don't think the show even had time for) or cut him loose. They made the right decision.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I remember Kay Alden saying at the time that Bill Bell made the decision to drop Danny,which she wasn't totally on board with. She hoped to use him in some kind of music storyline with Callie. This was in an article about Bell handing over the reigns and how that was working in practice.

• Members

While I agree that Michael Damien's days at Y&R are done (except for guest stints) I wish the show had a "Danny" like character now that started his own rock band....I honestly thought if they were seriously gonna keep Fen around he would be the show's new Danny, probably cause Max Ehrich is in a band in real life....but I guess it's just too expensive to have that type of story now (not that I would wanna see it with Pratt...) 

• Members

I'd agree with Bell on that one, given Danny was pretty unpopular with viewers at the time and apparently throwing him at Christine was the only thing they could think of to sustain him. Phyllis had at least given Danny extra shelf life, but Paul and Christine went back to the summer of '93 and pretty much made their footnote in Y&R history between Paul saving Christine from Michael and them saving Margret and Miles by working together and later saving April. What made it so bad was that Katherine even appeared out of the black hole she was in at the time to advise Danny to reclaim Christine. I can't imagine what kind of "music storyline with Callie" Alden had planned with Callie and Danny except it would have had to have been very boring had it played out.