Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's funny, but I've seen a little bit of Janice Lynde as Leslie, and a little bit of Victoria Mallory as Leslie, and I think both were okay. Then again, Y&R's earliest characters were so fascinating and layered to me regardless of the actor.

• Members

I don't know for sure, those watching at the time might know. It does seem as if Bell lost some interest in Leslie once Janice Lynde left. The focus definitely seemed to shift to JLB's Lori. I read an interview with Victoria Mallory where she stated she was backburner for her first six months on the show, once the reveal of her pregnancy and miscarriage to Brad happened.

Even when she had story in the late 70's it seemed to focus more on how Leslie's actions would affect Lori's life.

• Members

Leslie did get that story where she developed amnesia and hooked up with Jonas (Jerry Lacey).But I don't think it really took off and once Jonas and Leslie returned to Genoa City, the whole thing fizzled.

Leslie (and Victoria) just wasn't strong enough to sustain interest out of Lorie/Lance /Lucas.

• Members

This makes me believe that this may be because Bell insisted back then on writing to suit the character, rather than writing to suit the actor playing the role as it has morphed into.

If only those viewers could have seen into the future to see what viewers today often have to put up with, they probably wouldn't have been complaining as much. Then again, soap fans are notorious for for having a 'I want what I want' mentality.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That sounds interesting. I wonder what they had in mind with bringing back that character ?

I know Laurie returned briefly around that time for that sucky storyline that pretty much threw her under the bus and had her groveling at Victor's feet.

If the writers had any freaking sense they should introduce the adult Brooks Prentiss or Jennifer Foster.

• Members

Yeah but even when Leslie got story when VM was in the role it always seemed to come back to how is this going to affect Lori. Once Lucas found Leslie all the focus was on Lori and how this was going to ruin her life once Leslie came back and regained her memory. Should Lori help her sister regain her memory, will she lose Brooks. Even though JLB was planning to leave around 1980 and was pregnant with her second child, she was still a big focus of the show and that storyline eventually shifted towards her.

Edited by will81

• Members

Funny you should mention him. I just read a Tune in Tomorrow article about his arrival on Y&R. The character was originally to be named Rick, but Jerry asked they change it as he had played Rick on Love of Life.