Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Conci Nelson is playing Faren's daughter.....you can tell it's her when they do close ups.

I'm glad it seems like they gave Faren a happy ending, but I can't stand that housekeeper.....i guess Bill Bell had a thing for psycho housekeepers as here it's Janet and years later Veronica/Sarah.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She reminds me of a young Sissy Spacek too. I remember her as Heather too. She was a very believable child actress.

Psycho housekeepers are such a staple - this one reminds me a lot of Hester on ATWT in 1979 (in the Willows story - those clips are at Welovesoapsvideo if you ever want to see them) although she's less histrionic than Hester. This woman seems somewhat low-key.

Was that Edward story a writers' strike storyline? It just seems so WTF, even if Y&R in the late 70s and early 80s was WTF Central.

"Don't make me do it here...in my home...in front of mother...if I take pauses every few words...then I am more frightening..."

What the !@#$%^&*] his mother looks kind of like Vanessa Prentiss.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You know that 1990 Nikki stripping scenes is one of the first Y&R scenes I remember watching...I was flabbergasted and fascinated and it got me into watching the show. I don't think I've seen it in almost 25 years. It gets kind of explicit compared to most soap strip scenes.

MTS always gave such full out performances, even when it can get cringeworthy (as in the john scene). I think that's one of the reasons the character has lasted so long.

• Members

Yep she does remind me of Sissy Spacek, I thought the way she responded to Faren was beautiful....

Janet sort of looks like Schae Harrison a little herself....I wonder how long she was actually on.....I noticed that these particular episodes uploaded so far seem to cover the climax/finale of the stories. Faren, Derek, David......I hope we will see more stuff too.

I thought Nikki was still in the cult during that time.....i will have to dig up some 1981 summaries to help me understand this plot point better.....the show seemed to lack a clear direction at that time, yet I bet people ate up Bell's "Hitchockian" moments.....

I'm surprised that the first Victor/Nikki wedding wasn't added as one of her favorites?

was that really the only time Victor "lost" a fight when that Rick guy shot the spear through his "dick"....

• Members

These are "outrageous" moments, which I'm glad about as I've seen some of those other clips so many times.

Was MTS pregnant during the death fantasy scene?

Her hair reminds me a lot of Brad's ex-wife. I guess that was a popular style at the time.

I can't remember when the cult story was either. I think it was a year before this?

I'd love to see more of that era. It just seems insane and high high high emotion, new groups mixed in with fading glories in the Brooks and Fosters, and then the more somber Abbotts waiting in the wings.

• Members

The cult story was 1980. By this point Nikki Had been living with Casey who left town. She was stripping at The Bayou and her marriage to Greg was ending due to the events that took place in the first clip. I believe the Edward story started with Casey, she got the harassing calls and stuff, then it shifted to Nikki, when Roberta Leighton left.

Y&R 1980 - 1982 fascinates me, simply because the show was in a state of change, yet still had the same production crew, many of the same characters/actors from the 70's but was definitely shifting.

• Members

The show seemed so gothic between 1980-1982 between the cult, the Edward story that definitely seems inspired by Psycho and wasn't Katherine taunting Suzanne and/or Jill around this time too? And I think it was 1983 with Victor faking his death and crazy Eve too. I wish I could see these years in full.

• Members

I'm dying to see stuff from that era too......sadly for now it seems to be locked away in the archive...

but for now here is some more 1990 episodes to fill the void! (re-uploads)

I have to warn you guys that these next several episodes from August/September 1990 I am going to re-upload are probably the worst picture quality out of all the other episodes I have. Also there are several weird pauses in some of the episodes as well as a few news interruptions which obviously couldn't be helped......the good thing is that instead of skipping over a portion during the interruption they resume back to where the episode got cut.....I guess that's something they don't bother with anymore...

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Kay taunting Suzanne was 1979. From what I understand the goth type feel/look started around 1979 and it looks like it continued through 80/81. I am guessing when Conboy left in 1982 the show's atmosphere and look changed. I think it brightened up quite a bit.

• Members

I think so. IIRC, someone (MTS?) remarked in one interview how unusual (meaning, plot-driven and action-heavy) the story was for Y&R at that time and how, as soon as the strike was over and Bill Bell returned to the show, the story was quickly forgotten.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think that was Paul Tulley, who was OLTL's original Dr. Larry Wolek, portraying Edward.

• Members

I would as well, if only because I am curious as to how Bill Bell, Kay Alden and the rest of the writing team were able to transition Y&R from being a fairly traditional two-family soap that emphasized social (and sexual) issues to one that seemed more glamorous and melodramatic by comparison.

• Members

1979-83 period also included the 1981 storyline of Victor going psycho over Julia and building the bomb shelter in basement and locking Michael in. I think they also had him serve him rats on a platter like Baby Jane.

Eve Howard also turned up to try and kill Victor in 1983 and Victor faked his death.