The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I'm glad I've mostly stayed off the online experience as it related to The Walking Dead. I think the endless fangurl pimping and hate ended up contributing to my disappointment of daytime. I can't believe that couples from TWD are being pimped. But then L&O SVU boards were full of, I recall, endless pimping of Bensen and Stabler

Any character with decent writing can be given purpose. I think Lori could have been redeemed as a character if they had wanted to, but death is also part of TWD's world and her death has helped propel Carl particularly into a more mature character. Andres makes complete sense to me. She went from losing her sister to going darker with that to Dales death(who I think was almost a paternal figure for her) , to a feeling of abandonment by the tribe she was part of, to being saved by someone who didn't want to be close , to almost dying, to finding "paradise". Her wanting closeness, security, a safe haven, and wanting to connect to anyone makes complete sense. I think she's finally getting a glimpse that all she imagined is not as it seems and will likely cause another evolution of her character. It's why I can't give much credence to online hatred and rambling. It's all based on at the moment not the journey.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Neither can I. Life is so transient on the show that it seems a waste to get too invested in any couple. The exception would be Maggie and Glenn who have the only romance that was built from scratch. If Daryl and Carol ever do get together, sorry to say, but she would probably die the next day.

AMC is changing things up. When The Walking Dead returns on Feb 10th, an hour long episode of Talking Dead will follow. I hope they have good guests like Yvette Brown again.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I watch TD each weak and she was the best guest so far. Gonna have to reach out and see if we can get her back for when the show returns. I'm going home, running to Target and then watching TWD again. I absolutely loved the show last night.

No one has posted the ratings lately. We are going to have to designate someone (coughAnncough).

• Members

The ratings have seems to waver between 10m to 11m viewers a week(not counting the second airing of the episode) and from a 5.0 to 5.6 18 to 49 demo. And their audience from what I've read is about 50/50 male/ female. This is amazing. Most TV shows skew female on the major networks outside of sporting events.

On cable, TWD is only second in ratings to Monday Night Football on ESPN.

• Members

I love when they have engaging guest. Sarah Silverman has by far been one of my faves from this season... she had me cracking up with her assessment of the show, characters and situations. You can sometimes really tell who really watches it and some I'm looking like... Why are you here again? Yeah you're kinda a "big" name but you added nothing to this discussion.

• Members

Let me know if you find a way to contact Talking Dead about bringing Yvette back. I will send an email in support of her return.

LOL! I will happily undertake this task. Like JaneAusten correctly said, TWD's ratings have been killer this season. Only The Big Bang Theory is close among scripted programming. TvbytheNumbers usually does not release Sunday's cable ratings until Tuesday, but if the ratings are very strong, AMC will put out a press release earlier.

Last week's ratings: 5.4 in the 18 to 49 demo; 10,427,000 total viewers

http://tvbythenumber...re-more/159151/

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

LOL no problem with that -- TWD sh!ts on them ratings wise. i never got the appeal but to each his or her own and I know AMC calls it that because it was so critically acclaimed and won a lot of awards before it kinda peaked but that was before TWD was adapted and smashed the ratings game. I never understood why AMC did the show the way they did a season and a half ago with some of the behind-the-scenes issues and having the one guy eventually end up leaving... but alas he has a new show with TNT.

• Members

Amazing ratings, although I was hoping that the winter finale would hit a series high. The Walking Dead kicking butts and taking names. AMC has got to be dancing in the streets. No one would have ever thought that a zombie show rejected NBC would be the no. 1 show on little AMC. I hope the delay at the renewal announcement means that we are getting two 16 episode seasons. I know that the producers and actors must be demanding major raises after seeing AMC shell out for low rated Mad Men.

I simply do not understand Mad Men. I have given it many chances, but it does nothing for me.

Oh, I loved when Kirkman said on Talking Dead that they keep finding new ways to viciously kill zombies to see how far they can test the AMC censors, but they keep getting away with it. You know just know that AMC is happy to let them go all the way to the edge.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

It was a great finale but I don't think the show has explained Michonne well enough to justify her OTT hatred of the governor. I have not read the comics but I have read they watered the governor down a lot trying to save the character and make him last, but as a consequence it sort of makes Michonne's hatred of him make almost no sense. Her gut tells her he is bad therefore she waits in his apartment to kill him? And really, she could tell the prison group about Andrea.

I also read that the characters of Daryl and Merle are not in the comic, which is amazing because if you look at the last few episodes all they have really been about is setting up the Daryl and Merle reunion. There is a lot of action and this and that, but at the heart of it all is "what will happen when Daryl sees Merle?" That was the payoff for the whole thing, taking Glenn was just a means to get the show to Daryl and Merle.

Besides Daryl and Merle are any of the other characters original to the TV show?

• Members

Beth is original. Oscar was, I think. So was T-Dog. Tyreese's sister is original (in the comic she was his daughter).

Michonne knows the Governor probably killed the soldiers, and she knows he captured and tortured people, so that might be enough, but the motivation is flimsy. I've heard comments saying how they feel sorry for him over his daughter, and Michonne is a bitch, etc. I don't think any of that is fair, but I think they should spend more time fleshing Michonne out.