The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

The season one and two deaths are a combination of story direction and behind the scene upheaval. There will always be red shirts, but unfortunately more "permanent" characters are going to be dying over the course of this show.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Supposedly Dale left because the actor was upset with Darabount going (not sure if that's true or not, although they'd worked together before). I guess Hershel took his role over.

I wish they'd kept a few of the early people like Jacqui or Morales, but I guess they were just there to fill out numbers.

• Members

Frank Darabount was the man who produced the show from the first to the middle of the second season, when he abruptly left, supposedly due to tension with AMC over budget cuts. There were some who also felt like he'd ground the show to a halt with the Sophia story and that his departure picked up the pace.

Darabont - sorry for the misspell.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I was upset over Darabont's departure, but I think that the show as only improved and gotten better since he left. I like that Mazzara and Kirkman have listened to the complaints for the need for more zombies and action. I, especially, appreciate that we have been subjected to less needless debating and bickering over every decision or event. Like when Carl shut out Tyreese and his people, Beth asked shouldn't we help them, Carl said "I did." End of. I also love that the group is so cohesion and everyone has a role to play without complaints.

I can barely remember Jackie and Morales. My co-worker was also talking about Jim and Jenner who are also foggy memories other than Jenner telling Rick the secret. It all feels like ages ago.

• Members

I agree, Ann. Sophia dragged quite a bit, and it might have dragged longer after she was revealed to be a walker. The group dealt with it and moved on. And yes, no more long debates. What's done is done and keep it moving. So while Darabont got the show off to a good start, I have to say that you can definitely see the difference (improvement) after his departure.

• Members

I just read (don't know how truth) that Andrew Lincoln is getting $40,000 per episode. Unbelievable! This is the top scripted show on all of tv! No wonder we have heard nothing about renewal for the fourth season as yet. He and the producers must be looking for a huge payday before agreeing to future seasons. I hope Lincoln's agent is demanding five to six times more, plus a producer cut for him.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I guess it makes sense in some way, since he was a total unknown in the US...either that or he had an agent who would take anything (supposedly Norman Reedus/Daryl and the guy who played Shane both got 80K).

AMC seems to bleed the show for their other projects. I do hope they will give the actors a salary increase.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I'm pretty sure AL's salary will be renegotiated soon. I don't believe anyone believed this show would be the colossal success so Andrew and agent accepted what appeared to be a great payday at the time. Besides, depending on the length and language of the contract, it's binding.

And whatever happens, I don't want to know about it. Friends and Modern Family turned me off with the public bloated salary negotiations. That and not one actor on Friends was worth what was being paid/eppy. Total travesty!

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

If NR and JB got $80K, then I am sure that AL must have gotten the same. They were not any more known that him and he is the lead and the only characters guaranteed to survive long term. The person reporting this was wrong.

I don't get this. The actors are/were the key to making these shows a success. They deserve whatever salary they can negotiate for. The network and producers should not be the only ones making the money.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

TWD is renewed for a Fourth Season +

TWDs Glen Mazzara Quits, will leave series after S3

So convinced AMC has it in for this show. First Frank following S1 and now Glen (granted many think he's quitting before AMC can give him the Frank treatment).

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/amc-renews-the-walking-dead-glen-mazzara-steps-down-as-showrunner/

• Members

It doesn't make very much sense. I guess they keep funneling that money into prestige projects and see TWD as trash. I've had no respect for AMC, not since they got rid of shows like Remember WENN and moved away from good movies, and it took time for me to even want to watch this.

I wonder if this is also down to those groups like PTC demanding the show go to TV-MA if they don't tone down the violence.

• Members

I also wonder if this is about how closely they should follow the comic, or not follow it. I'm a little surprised Kirkman is still involved.

I see some "Glen ran off Frank Darabont!" comments on that article, but making my way through the first season, I don't know if Darabont would have lasted anyway, as I don't think he was all that great at some of the basics of individual TV episodes (especially dialogue and pacing).