The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Making my way through the first few episodes of season 2, and I wondered what the original season 2 premiere might have entailed. Apparently it was so listless or difficult that it helped AMC push Frank Darabont out. I thought the premiere was decent, aside from the clumsy as hell intro with Rick recapping over the walkie talkie. The sequences with the hiding under the cars and Sophia going missing were terrifically done. I also thought that the moment in the church when they realize it's full of walkers, dressed in their Sunday best, was just the right tone - weird and crazy and a little funny and also so normal. I don't normally find the walkers on this show to be frightening (the people frighten me), so this use of them is something I appreciated. And I liked getting to see Rick and Darryl working together.

I know they were shocked and awed and it was the beauty of nature and had been a terrible day, but I still couldn't quite believe both Shane and Rick would have let Carl wander up to the deer. I thought that was a little silly and too much of an attempt at being "cinematic."

I was almost immediately impressed with Herschel's character. He's a little hokey, but I think he effortlessly fills a patriarch role the way Dale doesn't. While Herschel is presented as strong but also somewhat delusional, Dale is too right, too good, and mostly seems like a crazy-eyed prop spouting "voice of the audience" dialogue. He also has more charisma.

I also liked Patricia. I think the actress playing her was too good for that throwaway role. It's the same issue with Carol, although fortunately they have kept Carol around.

I still don't quite see what made Lori so hated by fans. She's somewhat cold, and selfish, but so far I don't see her being as manipulative or passive-aggressive as I often see her accused of being. Perhaps the worst is to come. I know she said she was tempted to let Carl die, but I mostly saw that as her bargaining over the likelihood of her son dying, trying to find something to cling to so that it wouldn't be as awful. I think one problem is Sarah Wayne Callies just isn't a very good actress most of the time. Maybe it's because people watched this a week at a time, instead of relatively quickly.

Andrew Lincoln was wonderful throughout all of the Carl shot stuff. He doesn't get enough credit. I think it's because Rick is a little too real. He's weak sometimes, he questions his choices, he cries, he breaks down, full body breakdowns. This isn't the idea of what a leading man is supposed to be.

Andrea has this strange habit of flirty scenes even when the material doesn't call for it (like when she and Darryl were looking for Sophia).

Maggie's entrance on horseback - nice idea on paper...not well executed. I was rolling my eyes the entire time. It's too bad, as I like Maggie. I especially liked the scene where Glenn tried to help her through her grief by talking with her about the people she'd lost.

The scene where Shane cleaned the blood off Rick's face was so tender, and just powerful.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

New promo for 3B with new footage... This is going to be SO good!

http://bcove.me/b1d06dmq

Also, I remember during the TCA and when it was NBC's turn that the guy was all they had passed on TWD and that had they aired the series it would be a drastic change from what we see now and I thanked everything that it didn't end up on NBC. I know I have my gripes with AMC for their treatment of this show but this is how you do it [airing on cable] not some watered down version.

• Members

It would not surprise me if Kirkman is the reason the show keeps being fucked with. The problem is Kirkman has no ear for dialogue and no brain for long-term story. The comic book has been chasing its tail for years. But his ego won't let him step aside on the show.