The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Vee, I was wondering if you watched any of the season 2 deleted scenes. One of them involved going back to see the Vatos, and there was a scene in there where, out of the blue, Carol snapped at Rick, saying that he kept making the wrong decisions. This was obviously foreshadowing for Sophia, but I kept thinking about what you said, with Kirkman's need to make her into "comic Carol." The scenes also had a lot more of Lori as unofficial "first lady" of the group, as she repeatedly shut down Carol, Daryl, Glenn, etc. And they had more of the stuff that annoyed me and was toned down a little after season 1, which was all the men together, making the manly decisions. I actually liked some of this segment (like the guys just shooting a ton of walkers, partially out of blind rage at the thought of the Vatos being devoured, and the scene where Carl hugged Shane and was elated that Shane hadn't been killed, while Lori, who had just survived an attempted rape from Shane, was disturbed at this bond), but I'm glad they cut it.

There was another scene where Beth blamed Patricia's death on Lori, and Glen Mazzarra said he cut it because he thought they needed to move away from "conflict for the sake of conflict." This is so important, it's what I hate on so many shows today, and it made me very sorry, not for the first time, that he was pushed out.

One very cool scene was Dale listening to a bigoted preacher on the radio, talking about how the walkers were brought to Earth by God, because of man's sin and perversion. Unfortunately this was spoiled by Dale ranting at the voice, and even more when Mazzarra said that they'd planned to use this character more and eventually introduce him. But I *love* the idea of this voice, in itself, this voice of pure hate and bigotry, being one of their only contacts with the outside world. You can imagine a voice like this pushing Shane further into darkness, and encouraging all of his views. I so wish they had kept the idea of the voice on the radio, and dropped the rest.

They also cut some very sweet Maggie/Glenn scenes, which I wish they hadn't, because I prefer them to that whole mess where he says she makes him weak and then Herschel says go ahead and suddenly it's fine.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It's easy enough to find DIVX files and then run them on the TV using the PS3 and a thumb drive. If I'd wanted to I easily know how to get those episodes. But I have the cash, it's only a couple bucks and I figured I could shell it out on Amazon for those two or three episodes. After that it's all On Demand from 304 til 307, or until the marathon tomorrow.

I just finished Sick. Felt just terrible for Lori. She takes too much [!@#$%^&*] from fans, IMO. I didn't think Rick's reaction at the end was quite as cold as other people say - I think it was the most he could muster and that he was trying. Lauren Cohan's speech to the unconscious Herschel was wonderful.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Crazy they only gave you until 307 and not 8.

That speech was my absolute favorite scene from TWD and reminded me of my deathbed speech to my grandma when I came home and she died. If I remember correctly Kirkman said this was the speech he either wanted to give to his dying mom or wanted her to say to him. I forget his exact wording but I loved that little bit of insight on that amazing scene. I think he talked about it on Talking Dead.

• Members

I think they did give up to 308. I'll have to check, I think I just miscounted. Up to 4 now anyway.

The speech Maggie gave actually was the one Glen Mazzara had to give to his mother, who'd just died, over the phone. I'm not surprised, as I didn't expect Kirkman to be capable of that.

Saving 5-8 for tomorrow's marathon on AMC, followed by the new episode. Killer Within was of course very good - I've seen parts of it before. The strobelit sequence in the tunnels with T-Dog and Carol was particularly well done. I like how each season has had a distinctly different feel and tone, and pace. This is night and day from Season 2 with the whole Terrence Malick's Eden thing on the farm - it's very tough, and the unit has changed so much and become a lot more competent.

Edited by Vee

• Members

That''s who it was... He was my other guess. I think they might have been on the same ep. Anways, what he said about that scene was beautiful and his words were just love.

F**king hate AMC for getting rid of him and hope someday we can hear what his vision for S4 would have been and how parallel it would have been from new guy/AMC.