The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nothing surprises me about TWD anymore. I knew that scene was coming eventually, but the fact that they lined up a bunch of the more marginalized characters like Tara or the consistently useless Enid just cracks me up and makes me sigh at the same time. It's become such a treadmill (like the comics) of shock, and I know they actually have a wonderful corps of very talented and diverse directors and I believe writers from way back, and such a great and talented cast - but at this point I can't bring myself to care. I'll watch the Rick + Michonne movies and catch up when they come out, but I have a difficult time investing in it post-Negan beyond a few of my favorite characters because even when many episodes are good, scripts, performances, you're always just waiting for the next Kirkman shock beat.

And yes - 'Brett Butler decapitated' is not a headline I expected tonight.

For the record, Tara, Enid etc. were not among the heads on pikes in the original storyline. (Tara was a minor character long dead by then IIRC and I don't think Enid even existed.) Rosita was one of the heads in the original story, but not here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Ezekiel as well. 

(I think I'd mostly drifted away by the time Ezekiel arrived on the show so I don't know how he is on here. I read that Carol is married to him - I'm sure the Caryl fans love that...)

Apparently they cast Brett Butler knowing she'd die and told her that at the start. It was nice of them to tell her but I do wonder why they cast her for the role. Maybe for the diehard Grace Under Fire fans or something.

• Members

Ezekiel is alive here, I believe. (And played by the great Khary Payton from many many voice actor roles for video games and anime, as well as a brief stint as a romantic spoiler for Patrick and Robin on GH in the 2000s) He's great on the show and with Carol, from the brief time I watched after he was introduced. But he and Carol had apparently adopted the boy who seemed to be oddly subbed in for Jessie's son and that bond he had with Carol - strangely, the boy (Henry, I think) had been played successively due to a time jump by the two brothers of Madison Lintz, who played Carol's doomed daughter in the early seasons. Henry, who's been on the show the last couple seasons, was among the beheaded. So more misery for Carol.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yes that's what I meant to say - he was dead in the comics, not on the show (yet, anyway).

Looking at a photo of him I do see that they gave the actor some bad fake dreads. 

I didn't know those boys were the brothers of the girl who played Sophia. From what some fans keep saying that Henry character was horribly annoying.

• Members

I wasn't a big Carl fan, but when they killed him they killed the future.  It wasn't even conscious for me, but I lost interest when they killed Carl for that reason. They tried to switch that role to Judith, but it doesn't work that way. The show had invested to much in him from the start.  Carl's death made so much of those early seasons completely pointless. When shows break faith with me in that way I'm usually done.

That said, I understand why they would want to get rid of a troublesome stage parent.  He was probably even worse than any of us know, so I bet it was satisfying to hand him that surprise, since he probably thought Carl was indispensable.

• Members

I wanted to add I also never cared for the Tara character so I’m fine with her death. Really I haven’t had a problem with most of the deaths on this show outside of Glenn. But honestly Glenn was so far from the character that I loved by the time he died, I didn’t care that much either.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From SDCC: Danai Gurira confirmed her departure in the upcoming season, and the Andrew Lincoln-starring TWD films will play in theaters. (Possibly only in theaters, if I read the announcement right.) IIRC Danai is going to be in them as well.

• Members

Welp. I just finished Season 8. I never expected to be saying this, but the second half of the season picked up exponentially and gave a satisfying ending to the All Out War arc. A lot of great twists, cliffhangers, Dwight remained alive, and they made Carl's death serve a purpose. I am actually looking forward to watching Season 9. They basically wiped the narrative slate clean with the end of Season 8, so there is hope. Then again, Rick will be gone soon, so I don't know.... 

It was also a real treat that we saw Rick clean again.

Edited by YRBB